Would the space like my old iMac?

2007 model, core2 duo, 4GB ram
Not a beast by any means, but attractive and all-in-one.

I say yes, thanks! :slight_smile:

Shuv some more ram in it, should take 16GB.

I might be able to source a few more, if we generally feel like collecting iMacs is a good goal.

Ram and an ssd should give it a bit more life

Tbf even just using them to boot Windows would save a lot of space as the spec is near identical to the old PCs we have nearly everywhere.

Does it have any graphic card problems? I had one in the past , which part number is the CPU? In that model is still swappable , maybe I have a compatible one.

This is way out of any repair extension programs at Apple. They normal vintage the machine about 5 years in and obsolete within 7.

Uhm , ok , I as talking about in house upgrade…

Ok I’ll wipe it to the best osx it supports (10.8 i think) and bring it in. Might be a week or two given my usual rate of getting round to things

1 Like

I wonder if fits on electronics benches, we could use something like this to make the inspection camera useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

A perfect fit! No admin access till i clear my files off it though. Let me know if it’s in the way or useless and I’ll take it away.

4 Likes

Look at that! we got a fancy PDF reader and camera inspection machine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@tomnewsom have you managed to get your files of it?

I would like to install a more recent os then windows xp, either the last mac os usable for that or ubuntu.

No I haven’t had a chance yet. I’ll bring a drive next time I’m down, probably next week some time. It’s already running the last compatible version of OSX though.

As you might be able to tell if you’ve had a poke around, I got to about step 0.1 of changing XP for something else, as it has a new EFI bootloader (http://refit.sourceforge.net/ from memory)

So you should be able to stick ubuntu on the current Bootcamp partition, probably without even needing admin access in OSX

I might have some spare Mac RAM at home if this is of use? I’m not positive without looking but I think it may be ddr3

This one takes 200 pin DDR2 SODIMMs, up to 4GB as already installed

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html

Not sure if adding any more would help

For pdf and general browsing or kicad I think is fine

Ok, I’ve taken all my old stuff off, so you can now do as you please with it. Let me know if you need the OSX admin password.

1 Like

Cool thanks!

1 Like