Would anyone be interested in a basic 3D modelling class?

While some people already know how to create 3D models I thought it would be interesting ask if anyone is interested in a basic 3D modelling class. The idea would be to just show basic modelling techniques in something like onshape so that members can print their own things instead of being restricted to Thingiverse models. Thoughts?

[edit] So it looks like people are really in to this, presuming @directors are okay with it i’ll start planning out the session. I’m thinking it would be a basic look at the interface and showing how to create simple 3D models using extrusions, revolves and maybe sweeps.

What do people think about learning to model a phone case? That way people can create something pretty basic but also quite easy to customise depending on how far you want to delve in to 3D modelling.

4 Likes

+1
Yes sounds interesting.
I’m a newb to this stuff.
Ild find it really useful to learn the basics.

I’ve got a project in mind if that helps.

Sounds good to me.

Interesting, tell me more!

Absolutely in!

Yes, sounds great!

Can I clarify? Is this CAD design?

Yes. I’m thinking of Onshape, it’s not the most powerful thing out there but it’s a free, browser based and is relatively easy to use (similar to Solidworks).

I would love to do this class. When are you thinking of holding it?

Ok, great!!

I want to do a mock up of the 3D printer cabinet so I can cut some of the pieces on the laser cutter.

I’ll have a look at Onshape now.

Tried Sketchup yesterday. Couldn’t get on with it.
But maybe need more practice.

Sketchup is a bit too sketchy to produce drawings for a laser cutter.

I agree. I have many many hours of Sketchup experience, and would rather use other software for anything but very simple prints. It might be better nowadays?

Fusion360 is the one that has a lot of buzz around it: powerful, and now free for users like us. I’m planning to put some time into that one.

Not sure, I think i’d need a few weeks to think about what kind of things people should come out of it knowing and then create some kind of structure around that. Provided people want it I think it would be December at the earliest.

I would definitely be interested in this.
I have quite a bit of3d modelling experience mainly on tinkercad ( which has got to be the easiest 3d modelling software at the moment. And free and browser based).

Onshape looks like a step up from this, so put me down for a session.

I am happy to go through tinkercad if anyone is interested in a real basic software.

1 Like

Yes please

I really interested in creating casting moulds and moulds for wet leather moulding. I’m pretty experienced in Inkscape, if I create a 2d drawing can this be converted to the software you mentioned? To make a 3D file previously I have used makercam as fusion360 is not compatible with Linux, would this work for this project?

I would be interested

Interested. By the way, is there an age restriction?

Full membership of Makerspace is limited to over 18, but members are free to bring children/teenagers so long as they are supervised at all times

1 Like

Thank you! Happy with that.

1 Like