Woodworking – Monday 28th September 7:30pm

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa499779120>

Hi All

The woodworking group will be meeting up again on Monday.

Last week @stefanoramo and @Ana_Nieto categorised all our drill bits and made a wooden storage box for them. Some of us were shown how to use a jigsaw for the first time and we cut down some wood to be taken to the tip. People seemed generally happy with my risk assessments for circular saw, mitre saw and router. I’m going to put them on discourse this week so a wider audience can see (and critque!) them.

Hope to see some of you this coming Monday

@Gui @Rob_Morandi @afshind @GoldieRatio @AussieFred @Rs1771 @stefanoromano @SarahJ @Rob_Darbyshire @timahrensbach @Ana_Nieto @RichM

1 Like

So great to meet everyone! I’ll be back next Monday with some actual designs :slight_smile: Thanks for the intro @sarahbarber - @Ana_Nieto let’s make some clothes racks!

Hello, I’d love to come along on Monday - I haven’t joined yet - is that possible? To see the space, see what you’re up to and then join if it seems right for me? I’ve just lost my studio but it’s a blessing in disguise as I’ve wanted to explore makerspaces for a while…Happy to bring a contribution as a thank you before I sign up?

Hi Tansy

Sure, it’s fine for you to come along on Monday, I’d be happy to show you around. We’re also having a social event on Wednesday where more people will be down, not just woodworkers so feel free to come to that as well :smile:
Look forward to meeting you on Monday

Sarah

I’ll be there! There are so many more drill bits in need of attention! :slight_smile:

I’ll come tonight as well,

Yes I will be there at 19:30!!!
See you all there!!!

Ana :wink:

Thanks Sarah see you at 7.30 - do I need to bring anything? silly question
but how does it work if you’ve not yet got a workshop (wood) set up?!

t

Hi team! Really sorry, but having to work late tonight, so won’t be able to make it - but will definitely be there next week. T

Hi Sarah - very sorry but something’s got in the way but I’ll be there with
bells on next week. Slightly more prepped too I hope (are we working on
individual projects or in getting the woodworkshop up and running?)

t

On 28 September 2015 at 18:09, Tansy Drake tansydrake@googlemail.com
wrote:

I’ll be there in 20 min… Sorry for the delay!

Thanks @sarahbarber for hosting this evening and showing me how to use the jigsaw.

@Tansy_Drake so far on the Monday evening meet ups we’ve mostly been chatting, talking about ideas for projects, getting to know the tools we already have and getting the woodworking space a bit organised. From next week we will hopefully start working on building some units for the kitchen area as a shared project that whoever is around can get involved with. We all have different levels of experience so there is lots of scope to learn from each other and to get involved.

Hi @Tansy_Drake and @timahrensbach

Don’t worry about missed this week’s group. Here’s the link to next week’s meetup:

In terms of things you need to bring (as Tansy was asking) you don’t need to bring anything for your first time but we do have space and tools to work with so if there is something you want to bring to work on that’s fine.

We have plenty of tools https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/woodworking-group-list-of-tools/528 and the space to work, and some of the tools have been used already, but we are going a little slowly because of things like risk assessments and sorting out tool inductions.

I hope that answers your question, if I were you I’d just come down and see what we’re doing for your first time unless you are an experienced carpenter with a project to get on with in which case do bring materials. We have quite a lot of scrap wood to play with.

Is there glue & screws? Am just thinking if we are going to do these cabinets we might want some, if not next Monday certainly the following week. It looked like we are fairly light on clamps too but perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place.

We are now OK on cross cutting (using the mitre saw) but cutting lengths is tricky without a table saw.

I can’t find any documentation for the crosscut mitre saw here on Discourse other than this https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/compound-mitre-saw-hitachi-c8fse/557

I’m assuming there’s a risk assessment, and some induction process worked out?

it’s in process - @sarahbarber has drafted a risk assessment based on the cambridge makerspace and we’ll edit it once she’s put it online.

1 Like

I have seen wood glue and screws in the space but we should have a proper look on Wed / Mon.

I can bring screws if need be.