Woodwaste

@woodworkers

I cleared the big woodbin today, almost the entirity was utterly useless scrap and has been bagged up ready for collection.

It is my understanding that this system was far from ideal and used very differently from the intended purpose.

Thus I propose a slightly different system going forwards, constructive criticism is welcomed.

Talking to Dermot, any bags with any contaminated scrap wood or other materials eg sandpaper, gloves etc. is taken away and incinerated in a controlled environment, thus all of this can go together in the smaller green bin. To this bin I have attached some cables such that it can be weighed up, given we have a maximum weight limit for collection of 10kg. Factoring in the weight of the bin, 2kg, when this weighs in between 11kg and 12kg this should be emptied, tied up and left outside.

Uncontaminated wood I have been bagging up seperately (currently under the lathe pending a better location) for members with log burners or other use for firewood.
There is also a bag (same location as above) for uncontaminated plane shavings / turning shavings to be taken away by Sarah for use with a composting toilet.

I’ve built under the table saw a basic unit (pictured) where any useful pieces of ply and other sheet materials can be stored for anyone to use as sacrificial pieces for drilling, workshop use or for projects, perhaps the hoover could live here also, space depending…

Any other useable (square / of decent size / etc) wood scraps should be left on the shelves above the mitre saw for the meantime pending a further elaborated system, to be used by whoever pleases for small projects / segmented bowls etc.

Hopefully that suits everyone, again, any input welcomed.

Let me know if there are any points which need more info.

2 Likes

Excellent work, can we finally get rid of that bin from blocking the door then?

That’s the plan, currently it’s been left just outside the woodshop in the metal area to be repurposed / gotten rid off.

1 Like

Maybe hang fire on getting rid of the bin for a minute.
This is a good system in principle. Jonty, how about we spend Saturday reinforcing that top shelf above the mitre saw for storing hardwood (it was flexing a bit at the weekend under that load).

My other concern is size: what are we doing with sheet material which doesn’t fit under the saw? Hardwood is easier: 2’ size limit for everything on the shelf, long elements down the side.

Lastly… How do we keep the gangway into the shop safe? My concern with moving away from the bin is we’re potentially just shifting the pinch point into the shop rather than at the door.

I think if we’re serious as a workshop about saving uncontaminated shavings and woodburner scraps (which, non-tech hat on for a second, I am 100% behind) then we need to make a space for them in the snug. There isn’t the space to safely to do this in the woodshop.

We also need to police the storage system carefully if we’re serious about having it above the mitre saw. I’d be much more comfortable with having it below the mitre saw bench in a pull-out bin tbh - risk of dislodging stuff onto people at the saw.

This is a great first step. I want to add a chip catcher under the tablesaw, but that’s a little ways off yet.

1 Like

Have to say, having the bin and the scale is an excellent idea. Let’s get the instructions painted up on the side so there’s no confusion.

Happy to reinforce the shelf, good plan.
I’m sure we won’t maintain this level of stock for long!

Large sheet material can head to the snug. This is only for bits of the sort people sifted through the big black bin for.

I’m not sure I understand your point about entry to the shop. Hopefully the picture below clears things up.

Have included a picture of current storage of turnings and firewood. I forsee these getting picked up by someone every 2 weeks max perhaps. The bags under the lathe are for unfilled bags, full ones could easily fit into the snug of another practical location.

Good point re wood over the mitre saw, but the principle of storage of available wood stands.
This could easily be fixed with a lip over the shelf and things stacked leaning backwards. Or moved beneath the saw as you mentioned. Regardless, I can’t see us maintaining this amount of wood in the space, as it depletes it’ll be more easily managed.

You mean something like this?

1 Like

Any chance we can sort the chop saw out too?
The frame it’s sitting on was for the old chop saw that died after it built the space.
So this one doesn’t really sit on it properly.
You can’t get long beams flat on it (the bed and frame aren’t lined up) and it’s not cutting at 45degrees. It’s a shame. The Hitachi was great and did all that spot on. But since we put the Makita on the old frame its been unusable for precision cutting.

It’s on the list… but it’s a long list…!
Not sure how much we can do about the off 45° cuts…
@joeatkin2 would be the one to ask.

1 Like

Shall I tske the red filling cabinets?
I donated them ages ago.
Not sure if they’re actually that useful?
Might make more useful room?

They are in use.
I have vague plans of moving them under the guillotine at the otherside of the workshop and using it as a finishing cabinet for oils, waxes etc, and rags, wire wool and the like.

Entirely up to you, can do something different with the above idea.

1 Like

Re Woodwaste improvements.
Could we build something outside?

Something for all our waste types? Wood being one of them. Incorporating bins some how…

Ideally with some functional design involved…

Happy to leave them in the space for as long as they are useful

Re wood shavings / firewood

That area was left clear for the woodturning blanks shop

Beat me to it. Yep @TomHedges cleared it the other day for us to store the shop blanks

I was there :wink:
Hence the ‘pending better location’.

I’m thinking a lidded bin extending the run off off the back of the table saw built onto the side of the unit pictured above. Marked ‘Uncontaminated Wood, No Glue, Paint, Varnish, etc.’ Only small, so as there is plenty of room to get to the compressor, extraction gate, etc.
I reckon there will be space for both turning shavings and shop given that once a bag is full can go to a space in the snug. There’s a suprising amount of space there.
Ovbiously blanks shop takes priority, can reassess once that’s sorted.

If you’d like me to move it in the meantime I’m happy to do so.

2 Likes

On fether investigation I don’t think that we need a chip collection under the table saw. The bloke was in the extractor

Eh??

When I cleared the intake of the fan it suckled the blockage straight out

If you say so - I recall it differently but happy to defer to you as it means less work for me.

Provided everyone (shorter members included) can reach the extraction, and we can be sure it’s not going to degenerate into 1. A loose pile of shavings or 2. Getting so full we can’t keep the lid level, affecting outfeed on the table, this is a good idea, and in line with what Joe and I had chatted about previously.
+1

1 Like