Woodturning

Anyone up for pitching in for this?

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product-category/woodturning-tools/wood-texturing-tools/

There’s a voucher code for £30 off, possibly could get a makerspace discount also?

@turners what are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Also thread chasing… again thoughts?

These are great for decoration. I don’t really have enough time to turn enough at the space to be able to use it though. But I think it would be good for people turning a lot of items who want to use different techniques to decorate.

yeah I’m down

Thread chasing is something I would be keen on, but how would one do the hole for it to go in?

…drilling
You can drill on the lathe. Put a bit in the tailstock using a Jacob’s chuck and gradually drive it into rotating workpiece held in chuck on headstock. Keep withdrawing it every couple of cm to clear shavings and avoid clogging and risk of fire.

If it’s a big hole use a smaller bit to do a pilot first

Do we have a jacobs chuck?

Not a dedicated one for the lathe. I usually bring in my own from home but there are some in the space in other tools. It’s 2 morse taper which is pretty common. E.g. the one in the pillar drill will fit…but obviously I didnt reccommend that

Can also hollow end grain using other lathe tools, a few which we don’t currently have but I will look to make / procure.
I reckon it’d be easy enough to make some chasers also, will have a go soon…

If any turners are interested the Worshipful Company of Turners have announced their competition for 2018. Deadline is in November. Its also really amazing to go along and meet professional turners and see what everyone else has made. And check out Carpenters Hall of course. I went to the last one 2 years ago and I’ll try and go again this year.

https://turnersco.com/turning-competitions-2018

2 Likes

@turners Just to share a list of suppliers that was circulated by my wood turning association:

LIST OF TIMBER SUPPLIERS
STILES AND BATES - KENT ** ENGLISH HARDWOODS - NORTHAMPTON
YANDLES -MARTOCK ** AXMINSTER -SITTINGBOURNE ** TURNERS RETREAT ** TREE SURGEONS - LOCAL
OAK TREE FARM - BANSTEAD
TREE SURGEONS - CANE HILL
N B TIMBER - BRAINTREE
HOME OF WOOD - RYE
JON DEMPSEY - HASTINGS
STEVE EARIS - OLD WINDSOR
G & S TIMBER - PENRITH ** OLIVERS WOODTURNING - KENT ** S L HARDWOODS - CROYDON ** SURREY TIMBERS - GODALMING
SURREY & SUSSEX HARDWOODS - DORKING
TIMBERLINE - TONBRIDGE ** B AND Q
CHAMPIONS
THE TOOLPOST - DIDCOT ** WOOD RECYCLING CENTRE -BRIGHTON
JOYCE TIMBER - LONDON
EXOTIC HARDWOODS - KENT
ENGLISH WOODLANDS TIMBER - WEST SUSSEX
GOOD TIMBER - NORTHAMPTON
W L WEST - WEST SUSSEX - CHECK BEFORE YOU GO PLEASE!
CAR BOOT SALES
CHARITY SHOPS
SCRAP YARDS
TIMBER MERCHANTS - FULHAM TIMBER, CHAMPIONS ETC. WESTONBIRT ARBORETUM WOOD SALES
FREECYCLE
GUMTREE
SWAP WITH ANOTHER TURNER
GARDENERS
Amazon ** E-Bay ** Facebook Marketplace and various Groups **
(Caveat: make sure you know who you are buying from)
TOOLS ONLY:
Proops Brothers

4 Likes

Thanks - I have ordered some pen blanks and some teak blanks for shaving brushes.

@turners
Just a reminder of the lathe booking system. Details here: How to make a booking to use the Wood Lathe

And also please see above for list of where to buy turning stock

2 Likes

Hi there. Many thanks for the induction yesterday - much appreciated in terms of your enthusiasm and the time you gave up! Peter

2 Likes

@turners
New cloth-backed grits, friction polish and wood wax 22.
Replacement diamond card for sharpening - please keep it by the lathe and try not to loose it :pray:

4 Likes

Great and thanks. I have some pieces of tulipwood to use as starters next week I hope. Is it generally okay to use? Peter.

Yes - tulipwood is great for turning!

Great. I’ll need to get it cut by the wood techs. It’s a sound piece and no knots. Probably Thursday or Friday next week. Dinners first I think!

Peter.

Thanks for replenishing our supplies!

I’m sure it could have been better - but it works! Peter

2 Likes