Woodshop Mitre Saw

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa498a8f568>

Hi all. On Wednesday the old Bosch mitre saw was replaced and I fitted the Dewalt Mitre Saw on loan from @lewisss, thank you Mark.

I set it up using shims that I had to make 1mm thinner by using the thicknesser so that the bed of the saw was level with the bench supports either side of the saw.

To operate it currently, we have to hook up the Festool vac to the back, and it’s also wise to use shop extraction too by placing the hose near the cut exit as the Festool alone is not powerful enough.

Also I noticed that the plug needs some attention from @electrotechs.

I was about to make some picture frames so I tested the mitre angle of 45° to see that with a solid click into the 45° recess the result was 44.9° which is just perfect for a nice mitre cut for frames.

Thanks again for the loan Mark. It was a long time coming to replace the clunky Bosch.

5 Likes

Can you explain what is wrong with the Hitachi mitre saw for those that don’t know? Is it being decommissioned? Does it not operate anymore, or something else wrong with it? Does something need to be fixed on it? What happens with it now?

I can replace the plug on the DeWalt next time I’m in but I guess it depends how long the loan is for. Is the DeWalt temporary until a permanent replacement comes along? Or will it be a long term loan?

2 Likes

Hi,:smiley: there are a few issues with it, one of the guide arms has snapped of due to miss use, the cover guard no longer works properly and could cause an accident and a few other issues , the directors will have to okay the replacement and the wood techs will have to discuss what will be needed ( I hope it will not be to long ) Keep well . Brian D=

2 Likes

Thank you, @danielbenton & @platinumnqueen22

Should we 3d print an adapter for the extractor hose or the DeWalt is not going to stay for long?

@woodtechs

1 Like

It’s great that a member (was it Mark?) was able to loan a mitre saw so quickly. It’s a bit smaller and more limited in its range, so it would be good to confirm if the old saw is indeed kaput.

On the old saw, the plastic guide cover not retracting properly is a big hazard, but I reckon it could be fixed or replaced. I’ve been intending to make new metal clamp arms for it, and while I always forget, it also seems fixable. The broken guide arm is probably trickier, but perhaps we can make something for it.

All that to say, are we really chucking the old saw?

Not if someone can fix it! @danielbenton please have a go?

Thanks!!

Just to confirm, the previous mitre saw is the Hitachi C12RSH, right? Depending on what parts are affected, it looks like we might be able to buy replacement parts for it fairly easily, which might make more sense from a safety point of view. I can take a look at it later tonight.

Thanks!

Yes that is the one! If we can fix it with replacement parts that would be ideal! Have a look and let me know!

Cheers,
Andy

The mitre saw was taken out of operation for members safety,
The guard was not operating correctly, one of the fences is broken, the other fence has been cut, the actuating arms have been bent and have too much play in the spacers and bearings. The main base has been cut where someone has adjusted the blade too deep, the clearance fence is non existant, it is incapable of maintaining accurate 90 degree angles, and the height stop is inconsistent.

The issue with the guard has happened before and it was repaired by a previous woodtech.

This saw is unsafe and needs to be replaced not repaired, and no one is to make parts to make it workable again. This is a machine that will remove your fingers or hand in less than a second!

@asander1 is contacting manufacturers to see if we can get a donation.

If not we will have to get a new one. I have been told we have enough left in the woodshop budget to do this.

In the meantime whilst Andy waits for replies from suppliers I have loaned my one, yes please sort the plug and by all means print an adaptor for the extract.

The hitachi has been deemed unsafe by the woodtechs and one of the directors.

If we have a conscience
It should be dumped, and not given away to anyone.

It is not safe

If Mark feels this strongly about the saw, I think we should listen to him and bin it (maybe etch a warning onto the body as well).

Understood. I have replaced the plug on the DeWalt mitre saw as requested. I did look at the Hitachi mitre saw a bit, but there’s nothing more I could do tonight anyway. Since it’s not being reinstated, I have put a lockout box on the plug. I’m happy to remove it from site if @woodtechs agree to that, it’s unwieldy to have hanging around the space.

4 Likes

Thanks Daniel!

I’ll print the adapter this evening, if I can’t… I’ll post the file here for anybody to print it

1 Like

Disassemble it, throw away the parts!

1 Like

In separate containers, filled with epoxy!

I cannot print the adaptor today so the file it’s here if somebody else can.

Dewalt_MitreSaw_adaptor.zip (317.5 KB)

send a message here if you print it so I won’t do it next time I’m in the makerspace

Thanks
Federico

1 Like

the print started

Done!

Green, in memory of the Hitachi

7 Likes

Green to match the festool!

1 Like