Wooden floor help needed

Hello everyone,

I am planning to install wooden floor soon (ideally in the next couple of weeks) in my home, and as it’s my first time doing it I was think to ask the help from someone here in the community.
If you have experience and would like to join me, please get in touch (DM please) with advices, availability and costs.
:slight_smile:
Thank you.
Emanuele

What kind of flooring are you planning to use?

This one:

I am happy to give pointers but I did only do square edge instead of microbevelled (I do not think there is much diference in installing)

1 Like

I cant recommend Bona high traffic enough after 10 years of use my stairs and floorboards are still in great shape, I striped and sanded with help 3 floors of old wide plank Victorian floorboards in our London flat and then did the same at our Kent house (I hate carpets). I also used it on my kitchen wooden worktop and until my daughter got let loose in the kitchen and started cutting stuff without a chopping board the worktop had remained in great shape too.

Having to re-sand and apply a few new coats this summer, supper easy to apply with a paint roller, no help needed.

1 Like

Great product but no help with installing new floors!

I am back next week if you want to grab me for some advice! Fitted plenty of these.

Are you planning to remove the skirting first ?

I would advise to do so, looks much better than beading. Also a multi tool is invaluable for cutting the door frame to allow the flooring to fit under.

Also underlay (in rolls or boards) is a must.

1 Like

Thank you for you offer, advices are always welcome and yes please let me know when you will be around for a chat.
At the moment I removed the skirtings, took off the old floorboards, then the builders installed OSB panels.

What would you recommend for underlay? I lean towards boards, but the downside of those is the green fibreboards can shed fibres which make a mess and can be an irritant, and despite the advantages, I really dislike them for that.

I’d also consider Bamboo flooring as an alternative. It’s amazingly tough and durable, very ecological, and the uniclic system makes installing perfectly really easy (and can be disassembled too). It’s not expensive either. I still have some samples at home I could bring in - you could try hammering at it with children’s toys etc. But maybe for your house and the style you want, oak might be the way to go.

I take that back, just looked at the specs for the builder depot flooring.

It is not suitable for free floating over underlay ,after looking at the specs it needs to be either glued with a suitable adhesive or nailed down.

Nailers can be hired quite cheaply

1 Like