Wood Lathe Thread Chasers and Recess Cutter

Why spend £50 when you can make your own…

Ground an M10 bolt for the first one…

Filed then Water stones; 220, 1200, 8000…

Turned a handle, screwed it in…

More or less the same with the next two.
Hefty thread cutter made from a damaged F Clamp bolt, ground flat with an angle grinder, welded into a recess cut into another bolt, cut to size and threaded into a turned handle…

They’re on the shelf above the lathe, pictures of threaded boxes coming soon…
The recess cutter is used when turning the female thread, doubles up as an arm extension also…
Should be used at 450rpm, though I did manage to cut a thread at 1150… so who knows, find out what suits you…, ask me to show you the technique when you see me…

9 Likes

How did you find the engagement between male and female threads?

Probably worth heat hardening them to make the edge last.

Cool!

Can the one on the lift create a lip? I’m looking to create an ‘L’ shaped lip on the top edge of a shallow bowl.

They actually engaged pretty well, same pitch and peak to trough, screwed together okay, bit of wax on the threads and should be much smoother. Going to do another attempt later today, I’ll take a few photos.
I might make another, welding a nut to a bit of studding to use as a female and see how they compare, and do the same with the written off F clamp.

Figured some amount of heat hardening should have been accomplished in the shaping, grinding one side, quenching, rotate and repeat.
They’re pretty easy to sharpen and to make so hadn’t given this much thought, but may well do so some other time.

I’m sure you could use it for your lip, could probably achieve the same lip using other tools also and varying the angle of attack.

1 Like

They work really well, and look fantastic