Wood joint recommendation

I’m making this cabinet in 9mm ply. I’m not sure about the joins between a) the base and the front panel, which is 10 degrees off the vertical, and b) the back and the top panel, which is 10 degrees off the horizontal.

On possibility is to cut slots into the side panels with a router, and slot the base, back, top and front panels into them. Then I could just have glued butt joints at 10 degrees where required.

Or is it possible to do router cuts accurately at an angle? @Jonty_Bottomley ?

How would you do it?

Biscuits!

Ah, I haven’t done biscuit joints before… It comes back to the same question though, how to fit them accurately at an angle? Do we have a tool that helps with that?

You can use the flat sections to locate the biscuit jointer. It’ll be fine.

As Rich M says, biscuits!

The biscuit jointer is the tool to use, I can walk through how to use it and set it up next time we’re both in the space, and it’ll do more than a fine job of it!

OK, great!

Finished this… It’s a Eurorack case for modular synthesizers. I went for a different design in the end. The top third is hinged for ergonomics, so it can lie flat or be fixed at any angle. There’s also an optional stand to tilt everything, again to make it easier to use.

I’m pleased with this design though the build was bit untidy in places. I used biscuit joints (thanks @Jonty_Bottomley) to join the base to the sides, and rabbet joints to join the sides together.

Some pics:

3 Likes

Great!