Who is using ChatGPT4 and for what?

I’m a little curious to see who here uses ChatGPT and how you used it? :innocent:

My use case:
Because my daughter is doing her Math GCSE, I signed up to also take my Math GCSE with Lewisham. I left school with just CSEs and made it to Uni as a mature student.

So I have gaps in math like I can’t do my times tables and as I’m finding out that’s a huge handicap! I lose so much time working out what I should automatically know type thing…

Cue ChatGPT4 who can now speak to me and who has access to Wolfram so it can now do math really well, including the proof of 1+1=2. We asked it to role play as my personal math tutor teaching me the times table :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I have used it a few times at work for making excel formulas. I just talk to it like I would a human “I have this data in these columns and I want to extract this information from it.” 90% of the time it nails it first time. The other 10% of the time it gets most of the way there but close enough for me to understand the method and then I can fix it.

It can also take things like this word salad from British Standard 6465-1:2006+A1:2009 – Sanitary Installations.

and make excel formulas for each case.

It gets it a bit wrong sometimes so needs correcting, but it cuts out that whole half-hour long bit where I would google for the right function to use and how the syntax works then get lost in a maze of nested parentheses. Just skip to the end where I put some test values in to check it’s working.

My brother works in technical writing; creating documentation, help files and FAQs for software. He’s found it incredibly useful. So useful in fact, he’s decided to retrain for something else before his job disappears completely.

I find it handy for summarising text or simple coding tasks where I can spot it hallucinating. The key imo is to treat its output with suspicion. I find Google results have gotten quite bad in some categories so sometimes it’s easier and faster to just shoot a question to GPT and take the answer with a bucket of salt. It’s very good as a starting point for further work or research.

I think there is a big difference between 3 and 4, we asked 3 to also be my math tutor and it failed miserably, so we asked 4 and explicitly requested it access Wolfran, and so far its now 100% correct

For writing posts on Discourse about extraction :thinking:

5 Likes

It’s really good at doing SQL queries I find

I use it as a proverbial rubber duck. Asking it questions helps me understand the question in the first place and it also gives me code snippets.

I also like to use it for ideas - ask for 5 ways to do … and pick or cobble together your favourites

1 Like

I’m using it to turn complex concepts into prototype code, to see if something it’s viable before writing it, it’s not always right but it’s better then something

I haven’t used it for coding but know several that have. Like others say, it’s a good starting point but will need a critical eye to use correctly.

I have tried to ask it a moderately hard mathematical question that I had been stuck on but it failed miserably at it.

Other people I know used it to write cover leters, mailers to clients and busywork type emails that usually suck the life out of you. Very useful for that!

I’ve found that anything more complex it just falls over. I’ve been trying to get it to edit a monstrous spreadsheet formula and it literally just kept repeating what it told me the last 3 times when I said it didn’t work, just prefixed with a “I’m sorry that didn’t work out, I’ve gone and fixed it…”. You really have to kinda know what you’re doing a bit with those things instead of blindly trusting it.

Have you tried it with the Wolfram plugin enabled and then explicitly told it to use that plugin?

For fun we tried to make it fail. “Write a sea shanty about pirates and cannibal peas” resulted in a work that was faultless, very humorous and eerily good.

Adobe Firefly is quite fun for that - it generates an image from a text description. It’s often reasonably ok, very occasionally really good, and sometimes all kinds of weirdness happens, which can sometimes be quite creepy… To be fair, it’s still in beta. In a contest with some friends to produce a movie poster image, I managed to get a pretty good result, good enough for a low grade trashy B movie. Also got it to fail….

‘Princess in heavy rain’ gave the first two images (the scar on the forehead is a great touch and intriguing, and came from nowhere). ‘Young woman dreaming’ gave the third (what is going on there?!).

ALL the AI art tools have huge issues with hands, it appears to confuse them as a collective. In Stable Diffusions you can add weights to make a word more or less important and this way you can help the AI focus in a sense on what you want vs. what it does…

DAL-I as in the latest iteration, might have better luck at doing hands, not tested it yet :slight_smile:

Here are some weird cats from SD

Yes, hands are challenging. In primates, they hand found single neurons specifically attuned to hands, each neuron firing for a slightly different arrangement. A sort of template approach as used in computer vision. If that’s how evolution cracked it, then I’d be taking that approach.

Why she has 3 legs?

Let’s just hope that’s a leg…

What was your prompt again Dan?

1 Like

I have to be honest, women has enough hard time about their look without AI creating perfect images…