Which glue (if any) can be cut in the laser cutter?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49997ec18>

Hi,

I have an idea for a project that involves sticking multiple pieces of laser ply together and then cutting them in the laser cutter.

I know that we have to use laser ply over standard ply as the glue in normal ply releases harmful emissions when cut so I’m wondering if any glue is ok to be cut in there?

For example if I stuck pieces together using wood glue (gorilla or similar) would that be ok? And if not, is there anything I could use? Superglue etc?

Thanks for any advice/experiences.

Nick

@lasertechs

Silicone, acrylic or rubber based Id thunk. PVA has vinyl in it and vinyl tends to have chlorine in it so avoid that or make sure it’s a laser safe PVA? That said people use general PVA whilst lasercutting, but usually just small dabs. The problem is when mass manufacturing, one-off is, in my humble opinion, not a biggie.

I’d find it which glue is used in making laser safe plywood and then use the same one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=which+glue+is+used+to+make+laser+safe+plywood&oq=which+glue+is+used+to+make+laser+safe+plywood

Is there a reason not to cut first then glue after?

That’s a good point, the laser can cut through only 12mm at a time.

Thanks - good point

Not sure why I didn’t think of this - thanks very much, good idea.

1 Like

I have an idea to cut the ply into thin strips, then turn them 90 degrees, glue together on the face, and then cut through the end grain. I don’t know know if that makes sense?

So I could somehow hold them together while cutting, then glue the pieces after, but to be honest since the pieces will be quite small that will not only be a total pain, it will also be hard to get them together accurately.

But it won’t end up any thicker than what the laser cutter can handle, I can dictate the thickness by how wide I cut the strips. I was thinking maybe 9mm strips. There will be a lot of glue involved though so I’ll need to choose the right one.

1 Like

Looks like PVA should be OK, doesn’t have Cl in it (like PVC does, which is a no-no) which forms HCl and can degrade the components of the machine.

Obviously up to the techs to say it’s ok or not