Where are the routers?

We used to have two Makita (I think) routers: a standard full-size 1/2" and a smaller hand trimmer-type router. I couldn’t find them yesterday. The bag supplied with the router was empty, and I could not see it on the shelf where the sanders and jig saws etc. are. Does anyone know?

What I did find was a bag with two routers, again one standard size, and a smaller one. Both appear to be quite old, may have been donated, may be member’s personal tools, I don’t know. Have they been PAT tested? Checked for safety otherwise? Where did they come from?

@joeatkin2 decommissioned them both, both of them still around but hidden/used in Arch2 for construction. Both were in some way broken, Makita has a crack in the cast body and broken off locking mechanism and the 1/2 Hitachi had a hole in the body that was exposing cables.

I think those new old routers were brought by Joe…

The big Hitachi has a hole in the case and exposed terminals which means it’s electrically unsafe and immediately had to be put out of service, the little Makita has got a radial crack around the main bearing which could end badly so I put that one of service as well.

Trying to get hold of new old routers at the moment

Andy is in the process of bringing those two old routers back to life.

Think he’s still waiting for parts, they are both very high quality routers that’s are still sold under the DeWalt brand

3 Likes

We do need to get one of the Makita trimmers again though!

Petra card has already been allocated the money the just wasn’t one available at the time

2 Likes

Hold fire on buying a new router! We are talking to a manufacturer and possibly going to get a good deal.

3 Likes

Ok, good. Although we don’t actually have a single working router at the moment.

How long do you think before we will be able to have a new one?

@asander1 do you have an update on this?

Yes, we have 2 Elu handheld routers a 1/4” and a 1/2”. Here is the tool page (Work in progress)

We bought the new 1/2 Elu router, it was cheap and high quality, just needs a couple of minor things to change back from table use to handheld use.

We have also fixed the bearings on the 1/4 router, just need one more part for that one to be 100%.

So these are almost ready to go, I am working on getting the last parts and will recommission them.

The other advantage is the 1/2 Elu is the same as the one in the router table for maintenance and usability.

3 Likes

Hey Andy, what parts are we needing for the two routers, is it anything I can take of your hands and help with.

Heya!

Yes, let me find my notes and pass them along!

Cheers!
Andy

@Ryanf and I sat down and sorted these out today… all good!

2 Likes

Functional and everything?

They both work just fine - we just ordered any missing little bits / fence parts and stuff!

1 Like

Cool!

1 Like