Whats going on with the Large format printer ( IPF605 )

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a2ae1020>

I mean I’d like to use it to print some transparencies but it never seemed to be up and running, or at least I was never sure how to get it going. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have, it’s just one of those things that doesn’t really work if left about no?

Yea it has never realy worked in 5 years and the ink costs a lot and dries out. So in theory it is great, but in practice it is not and takes up a ton of space…

Hi @peter_hellyer- still interested in this printer?

We are making strides to open rooms to multiple makers at a time and need space for additional air filters, which are large, can we move this printer on please?

Thanks!!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how expensive is the ink? I’d look it up but I don’t know what model it is.
I’ve also been eyeing it, but I didn’t know if it was working.

Hi all,:smiley: Just a thought but if the lathe is moving into arch 2 could it not go there, how much is the coloured ink and how big can it print and what other uses could it have ?

Heya it is an IPF605

The cartridges are about £250 and it apparently doesn’t work without all of them being present and happy:

Then they dry out if not used… :frowning:

The printer itself is worth about £50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-imagePROGRAF-iPF605-Large-Format-Printer-/284373275378?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I am sure someone could do something great with it, but in the 5 years that we have had this they simply haven’t, so the space is just better used for other tools that are more in demand and the members can support and actually get some use out of.

Like, completely dries out, or is it the sort of thing where the print head dries out and could be cleared with some rubbing alcohol? Sorry I only have experience with my little inkjet.

Others have tried to get this machine working, so I am not personally the one to ask, but the ink can dry out in as little as a 3-4 weeks, and the printer never gets enough use to have this not happen in the past… I recall it has maybe only worked once in 5 years for a short time…

We also have a medium format printer that is not setup or confirmed to be working that takes up a lot less space than this one and still prints quite large. So seems like time making printers work would be better spent on that one and the regular laser printer that is also not working… :pensive:

@peter_hellyer its been 2 months now- can we move this along yet?

Still in the way…

:cry:

Is the medium format printer on a high shelf above the 3d printers?

I confess, I wasn’t picturing one as large as the freestanding one…

1 Like

Yes, thats the one!

As far as I know that medium one isn’t working either. Someone said they would repair it but it hasn’t happen in the last 1.5 years.

1 Like

Aargh!

Printer hell…

I fixed the door on the laser printer, so it tries to print- and now it paper jams every time…

Here is the medium format:

Is it worth replacing the “maintenance cartridge” or os that a slippery slope, it hasnt printed since 2019, so likely all the ink carts are dried out….

To fix the medium format (PRO-1000)

At minimum it needs the £20 maintenance cartridge - but likely after 2 years it needs new ink:

£673 later you are set with all 12 cartridges!!

It is already unhappy with most of them…

1 Like

Great job! Thank you for doing that!

Did you check if the Lexmark in the snug has a maintenance cartridge that’s still working?

A replacement would cost around £200.

Regarding the Canon, I remember there being multiple discussions wether to get rid of it because it’s so costly to maintain and replace.

@electrotechs would it be possible to have the the printer setup to print a test page once a week to keep it from drying out ?

The Canon (med format) is the one that needs the maintenance cartridge ( and more )

The laser (which is the one we have a spare in the snug) is jamming and making lots of clicking noises…

I will try to write up a summary of what I think we should do!

1 Like

Yes but that wouldn’t really solve the problems…

Edited.

2 Likes

Sad and lonely!

@peter_hellyer @Esther_Gladstone??

1 Like

How about we set a deadline for removal of both these unused printers, say the end of this month? If they have not been picked up by Sept. 30, they will be disposed by consent of @directors.

Yes, it’s a waste, but so is the space they are taking up.

Yes, they could be fixed, but the cost is too great on an ongoing basis for a large item with little demand in our Space.

Yes, it creates more landfill, but that’s where they were probably going before they came into the Space anyway and they will end up there sooner or later.

Yes, it’s nice to have large-format printing for things like transparencies - but that is a service available comercially at relatively low cost on an as-needed basis.

Yes, people have expressed an interest in retrieving it, but it hasn’t happened yet and there are probably reasons for that.

Let’s make a decision about this one way or the other and action it.

3 Likes