What kind of jack is this? (Audio?)

Anyone know what this jack is? I am not knowledgeable on jacks - it looks a bit like some kind of XLR (with 4 pins so not a normal XLR?) but there is many types of them it seems and I am on a tight deadline to get them (i.e I need them friday morning) - unfortunately I don’t have the jack in my hand so can’t measure/get any more pics.

Also - does anyone know where I could get a couple of both male and female ends for the jack at short notice? I am happy to pay if anyone has some spare or just buy them from a shop if there’s anywhere in london that has them.

@joeatkin2 will name this surely

Or @Courty or @emuboy who both have stellar audio backgrounds

1 Like

It’s a four pin xlr. Less common than three but technically they can have up to seven pins. The more pinned versions are often used for lights with dmx control or with something that needs additional power.

You’ll have to wait on someone else to say where to get them though, I’ve never had to buy one but maybe check out theatre lighting suppliers?

2 Likes

agree, 4 pin XRL.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/xlr-connectors/0405635/

Courty

1 Like

Won’t do him any good if he needs one today…

1 Like

Needs it by Friday morning…

1 Like

RS have a trade counter in East London !

Courty

1 Like

Checked stock - none in Bermondsey, 1 at Gatwick, 1 at Heathrow or 1 at Watford

Next day before 10am delivery is +£14.95 :sleepy:

Courty

1 Like

You got headphones at the end of the cable isn’t it?

It’s a less known standard , sometime is used to bring additional power, some times used to carry 2 audio channels through an XLR (normal XLR are monos)

1 Like

Awesome thanks very much all! This is super helpful - will call around a few suppliers and if not as you say can always get it from RS same/next day 9/10am.

Yeah its an unusual config - mono sound for an earpiece and a mike input but the workplace is full of rather unusual solutions, so quite possibly everything in backwards, last time I was working on it we spent a lot of time chopping up headphones to fit these guys on.

2 Likes

You might want to look in the snug. There’s a box in there somewhere with various connectors, including some XLR’s. I’m sure I have seen a 4 pin somewhere recently, but cannot guarantee it was in the Makerspace.

1 Like

There’s a box of audio cables yes, but I went through them when we did the snug clear out (poor snug, needs clearing out again) and they were all quarter inch connectors from what I recall.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember your valiant effort to sort those cables, and I think you’re right - there were only 1/4 inch.

1 Like

Hi there. New member as of about 5 minutes ago. I have some XLR cables I no longer need, just checked and they are 3-pin, sorry. You’re welcome to them if you want though,

When I get into the Makerspace I’ve a bag of cables (audio, XLR, midi) that I can donate, if they’d be useful?

2 Likes

Thanks this is a really kind offer, I really appreciate the effort everyone’s been making. Unfortunately they need to be 4 pin and need to be able to accept a cable i.e not with premade cable attached - I’ve ordered some on the early RS delivery so hopefully these should do the business.

Thanks everyone again!

1 Like

I could very much use a couple of three pin xlr cables…

Cool, DM incoming

1 Like

:scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like