We need more Electrotechs!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa498966308>

Good day everyone,

Me and @Laura_Barlow had a conversation yesterday regarding the future of the electronics area, long story short, I have been a tech for more the 8 years now and I start to feel the weight of it and Laura has different plans for the future, so we *need * someone who would be willing to look after this small section of the makerspace, we think that what we need is :

• Commintment
    – Organising the electronics nights, maybe not at the same rate, but with a good rate, the electronics nights are the most sociable event at the space and the saw hundreds of new people coming in during the years, way more then I can remember. A couple of hours a week of commitment would be ideal.

• Electronics knowledge or willing to learn
    – People will come to you with any sort of project and questions, you don’t have to know the answer to all of them but you will need the willing to learn while doing.
    – Organising the benches and keep the chaos from spreading will require you to understand some basic electronics and to figure out what’s needed by people and what’s not.

• People skill.
    – Strangers will approach you with projects and they might want to share, they need help, they might be complete novice to science and technology , they might quantum physicists, most of the time your interaction with them it’s vital for them to get interested in the hobby

I would -like- to prioritise diversity in this, so, if you feel you can represent a minority, don’t be shy and message me!

Are you the next @electrotechs?

8 Likes

OK, I may not be an ideal electrotech because my electronics knowledge is not large, but since I currently do electrical/electronic repair events (and may be running repair events in the space (or in the Station Hall) soon), maybe I should put my hand up?

I’m quite busy but I can probably manage an hour or 2 per week in a couple of months, so can I suggest that we divide the labour?
I can focus more on the organisational side of things:

• events
  • maintaining the space
  • filtering queries and passing them on
    (I can deal with basic issues like reading colour codes on resistors and explaining which is the dangerous end of a soldering iron)

… and other more electronics-knowledgeable people can help with the complicated stuff.

How does that sound?

P.S. I dropped out of a Physics/Electronics degree in the 2nd year so I have a fairly solid grounding but it’s more than 40 years old :older_man:

4 Likes

Oh, yes, one more thing:
the only diversity box I can tick is that I’m Jewish.

4 Likes