Waxing skis in the woodworking area?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b599f88>

Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to wax my skis in the woodworking area? I’m not entirely sure if it’s allowed or not, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that there might be a little bit of smoke when the wax starts to melt. After the first wax drops, there shouldn’t be any smoke anymore.

Thanks,

Gleison.

1 Like

Edit… I think this is a better project for the messy room… just move the table, I am worried when you scrape the wax off, it will make the floor in woodshop very slick if any of is gets away… Also, please bring your own iron tho not the ones in textiles…

I’ve never waxed Skis before so I’m not sure what it entails. We don’t have any extraction to the outside from the woodshop, so perhaps doing the waxing in the screen print wash room with the ventilation on is a better bet?

1 Like

Essentially you melt the wax on then scrape it off. I have waxed a lot of skis in the past and as long as you clean up the wax shavings should be ok, but any shavings that are missed will end up waxing the floor as well, and the woodshop floor is very smooth, so could get slippery…

I see, it makes sense :slight_smile:
Yes, I have my waxing kit that includes the ski iron, brushes and the wax bar.

2 Likes

Cool, do my skiis too? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It is going to be my first time after an intensive YouTube training session lol.
I think as far as I don’t let the iron sit on the soles the skis should be safe.
Do you think I need the brass brush if the skis had a couple of indoor slope sessions from brand new? My kit comes only with a nylon brush.

Yeah you should be good with just Nylon in this case…

• In general the progression of brushes after scraping wax from your base is to start with the stiffest and end with the softer/finer brush. In this set, brass is the stiffest and horsehair the finest, however, there is no need to start with a brass brush on softer waxes because the nylon is perfectly efficient at removing this wax.
  • Start with brass if brushing cold-rated very hard waxes.
  • You can also use brass to renew your base structure and open pores for improved wax absorption. Do this by brushing tail to tip. Pores get beat down in the tip to tail direction and close. Brushing with brass in the opposite direction (tail to tip) can open the pores.
  • Brass is also commonly used to brush dirt and old wax off a ski surface before waxing.
  • Nylon is the workhorse brush; use it to remove most of the wax with repeated brushing.
  • Horsehair has finer bristles and can reach down into the fine structure of the ski base. Use it after the nylon for final polishing. Also good for buffing racing overlays.

https://www.racewax.com/racewax-pro-ski-wax-brush-kit-nylon-horsehair-brass-in-deluxe-case/#:~:text=Brass%20is%20also%20commonly%20used,the%20nylon%20for%20final%20polishing.

2 Likes

@Ryanf @asander1
Thanks guys, skis are properly waxed now.

3 Likes

Nice work!