Washing machine motor to variable speed

Hi

I came last week and discussed the possibilty of making a variable speed control for a waching machine with Marco, who suggested that in the first instance uing a TRIAC circuit ( I also talked to Joe who suggested a feedback ‘servo’ control circuit and this may ultimately be the way to go but I think ill start with the simple solution first and build from there) - so having now stripped the motor (and infact the entire wiring loom + electrical components) from an old washing machine I now have the specification of the motor (see the photo ) . Can Marco (or anyone else if you know about these things) suggest a ready made triac circuit I can attach to this in order to create a variable speed motor- or am I better off getting the individual components? alternavily if you point me in the right direction on how I can work this out for myself im always interested to learn…
My plan is to make a ‘shaker’ capable of going on a rail and operating up to around 110Hz (and so ill have a step down 2:1 gearing since the motor speed is 13000 rpm~ 220Hz) with an eccentric mass of around 1kg and a radius of eccentricity of around 1cm.

thanks alot

jim

All depends on the motor you have got and the budget.

ok ill be down next thursday with the motor to hopefully discuss more - that photo was a plaque from the motor- but if there are better motors out there on other types of washing machine i can probably get hold of one- this was from a BUSH HW60 - 1460D washing machine that a mate was throwing away (fully functioning but wife wanted a new one). here is the motor before it was taken out:

Here’s an interesting link

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/using-washing-machine-motors-t30171-30.html

Is that an AC generator on the back?

There will be a speed controler in the washing machine bord

There is a vearack in the back it will do
its a dc motor , easy to control

That article seemed to imply that most washing machines motors are DC these days but the plate seems to indicate 230v AC…?

1 Like

DC motors are happy running on ac , as long as the iron is laminated, DC is type of motor, as found in most tools.

Life is never as simple as it seams

thanks for the info- will be down next thursday, i have the entire loom with all components still conected so it should be possible to plug it in and put it through a wash cycle just to test its working (although i havnt tried) - btw notice that there may be quite a reasonable second hand value for these parts, someone is trying to sell a used one of these motors on ebay for £35 - and all the other components are being sold on there too, it wasnt eactly a major job to remove this stuff so it could be a nice way of making a bit of cash on the side…, see here:

I slept through most of the Electical Engineering lectures at college. Wish I hadn’t sometimes…

1 Like

TDA1085C looks like like the easiest way if we cannot use the speed controler from the loom

sorry i missed this till now or i could have ordered one and brought it along- ill order one for next time, but ill still be along tonight wit the stuff to discuss further

http://m.ebay.com/itm/TDA1085C-Universal-motor-speed-controller-PCB-1pcs-new-/272228596760?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D4b5764486fe6464ebdbe9736105fc7f2%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D11%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D272228010703&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

That will save some time

sorry i missed this at the time and now its auction is over- can you post up an equivalent and ill bid for it before it runs out
see you tonigh
ta

jim

Sod it we will do 8t on verobord

btw i traced the wires and they are in this picture