Vinyl Cutter I've never used it

Perfect! Can you upload it?

Yes sorry, just checked discourse. Will re-generate a copy and upload it tomorrow.

1 Like

Here you go, a 100x100mm square to try out, as run through hpgl distiller.
10x10output.hpgl.zip (265 Bytes)

Here’s your file:

IN;PU;
IN;
PA1143,6;
PD;
PA4722,6,4722,3585,1143,3585,1143,6;
PU;
PA1143,6;
PD;
PA4722,6,4722,3585,1143,3585,1143,6;
PU;
PA0,0;
PG0;

Not sure why the double init IN or double plotting the same shape but the first plot is a vertical line from (4722, 6) to (4722, 3585) which is (3585-6)*0.025=89.475mm long

Weird. That was just a 100x100 square as drawn in illustrator.

Can you try the output phase via Inkscape?

I can try and compare output from a few things and see if the .eps to .hpgl step is getting garbled somehow.

So I just tried it from Affinity Designer because I’m lazy and had it installed already and tried a similar .eps to .hpgl to .hpgl without the extra stuff and got exactly the same 89mm square as output or, skipping the hpgl-distiller step total garbage.

I’m guessing this means something is up with the .eps translation?

I think that’s probably the case.

I spent a few hours last night getting an web assembly binary of https://www.ghostscript.com/ working in browser so you could do encapsulated post script -> HPGL v1 in a single step without installing anything but I’m honestly stuck on figuring out which “device” flag to pass to it. My google abilities are failing me. If you figure out which device it should be, I’m happy to finish that up and host it.

Hi vinyl fans!

@kyle and I went in and replaced the 5v power supply for the raspberry pi in the vinyl cutter, also had to re-flow the USB connector as it had gotten loose on the board from being hit sideways. The vinyl cutter is in a bit of a precarious place right now, but will get better as we expand, but for now be sure to disconnect the USB cable for storage so it doesn’t get bent again!

Thanks!
Andy

3 Likes

Hi all, I tried using the vinyl cutter the other week, but the http://slmsvinyl.ddns.net/ address didn’t work with the cutter powered up, maybe the Pi isn’t getting power again?

Should I try opening the cutter to check? Or is this best left to someone who actually knows what they’re doing? :wink:

I’m in the space this evening (26/03/24) laser cutting, so I could give it another go.

Thanks!

Feel free to poke! We were using a dynamic DNS service to get it working before we had access to DNS but I have since added a record for vinyl.space.southlondonmakerspace.org to point to the right IP. I have updated the tool page to reflect that change. Let me know if its all working this evening, appreciate it!

Note that the IP address is internal to the space and so will only work on the network there.

2 Likes

Yay that link works, thanks Kyle! I’ve run out of time tonight, but I’ll be testing it soon :slight_smile:

I’ll post an update on here once I’ve done a successful print

3 Likes