Videogame arcade cabinet for the space

yes yes yes yes yes!

yes!

I don’t think it would be very comfortable. You’d have to kneel down and tilt your head right up at the TV?

I agree.

I think a raspberry pi 3 and a couple of wireless pads would do the job, I was up for the arcade machine because is a dream I have , build with a real CRT , running something cool like an xbox 360 or a wii…

not if it is done with the screen in the table.
these were very popular in pubs in my youth!!

1 Like

A flat surface, in makerspace, without loads of stuff piled up on it? :smiley:

3 Likes

come on guys!

we have a screen - the TV. we need a small box with the magic in, and some blue tooth controllers so you can sit, knell, stand.

and some freaky nice speakers plus sub woofer.

the box of magic could also contain way of playing music threw.

it could be all built in and seemless lovely ply.

the whole thing could be a bigger purpose built unit to house the tv, stationary(?), printer(?), descreet locakable laptop and projector storage, games cube, printer paper. ALL CHILD SAFE and possible implement something kiddy friendly.

Specced, consulted, designed, AWESOME!!!

1 Like

I dunno. There’s something appealing about a video game cabinet with the joysticks built in. Else it might as well be an Xbox…

If a Pi3 is sufficient for most purposes, then I’ve been working on this in the space…

http://imgur.com/a/aSswp (image gallery)

I would be willing to screw it into the wall by the TV and provide a few cheap wireless controllers.

I do agree that a proper cabinet is ideal, and be super fun, but I do think this will be a great alternative.

I’m currently leeching tons of roms at home and intend to put 128gb usb drive and 32gb microsd card in the Pi3. SSH is enabled and WiFi is setup for connecting to the space. I’m not sure else to say or suggest.

2 Likes

true true.
maybe not mutually exclusive though.

we do need those other things there on another thread though and im being off topic. but if gaming console is a members requirement worth thinking about the bigger picture.
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/tv-printer-cabinet-storage/4022

in my mind if its not stand up full cabinet its pretty much same of same - screen, component box, controllers.

What I would really like to initiate / see is our own games running on it.

4 Likes

any style in mind? any era in mind?

i love late 80s platform games!
Jetpack. Manic Minor. Attic Attack. Rick Dangerous!

there is only one stile imho : mame.

To be honest, I’d be content if we gave the great makerspace wire game pride of place :wink:

4 Likes

I think the scoreboard is still on the back of the door. Maybe transcribe it to the chaulk board and make it an ongoing friendly competition…

I have to say its quite underwhelming, we need a proper arcade machine. some day.

Just sayin’…

1 Like

Although to be fair we don’t have room.

agreed, it is a shame!

that said, i have been playing NES tonight and I’m having a giggle at my own poor playing - its awesome. hehehehe

What what? I put " winner of xmas party comp Toby Spark 2016 " on back of wire game for prosperity.
Wires crossed?