Videogame arcade cabinet for the space

Makers with no spare space

1 Like

The one I posted pictures off on Thursday was exactly that, a Pi plugged into the TV running an emulator !

I used one of the new PiZero boards, about half the size of an iPhone. could be hidden anywhere.

I would love to make the full retro cabinet or table top but I don’t have the room at home either :cry:

Courty

Yes yes yes yes yes. Yes.

It’s something to consider if we ever have the space. I could spend hours pouring over some old school roms.

One for the makerspace II list?

Ok, I’m going to go for retropie + one pi then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Let me know if you want an apprentice!
(Pi newb)

I have Lots of the MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) Pub game ROM’s and a bunch of the extra Emulator BIOS files.

My favs are Defender and Defender II (AKA Stargate), Original Space Invaders, Original Asteroids and PacMan #stupidgrin

Courty

1 Like

What about a cocktail cabinet style ? Takes up less space, and doubles as a table :slight_smile:

A la https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/awuk-deluxe-flat-pack-cocktail-arcade-cabinet-kit.html

Sadly there is no wai to fit that between the sofas :frowning:

I got retropie running the other day, would recommend it https://retropie.org.uk/

I propose this as an option, takes up no room since the area is filled with random crap anyway, and would be very awesome.

1 Like

yes yes yes yes yes!

yes!

I don’t think it would be very comfortable. You’d have to kneel down and tilt your head right up at the TV?

I agree.

I think a raspberry pi 3 and a couple of wireless pads would do the job, I was up for the arcade machine because is a dream I have , build with a real CRT , running something cool like an xbox 360 or a wii…

not if it is done with the screen in the table.
these were very popular in pubs in my youth!!

1 Like

A flat surface, in makerspace, without loads of stuff piled up on it? :smiley:

3 Likes

come on guys!

we have a screen - the TV. we need a small box with the magic in, and some blue tooth controllers so you can sit, knell, stand.

and some freaky nice speakers plus sub woofer.

the box of magic could also contain way of playing music threw.

it could be all built in and seemless lovely ply.

the whole thing could be a bigger purpose built unit to house the tv, stationary(?), printer(?), descreet locakable laptop and projector storage, games cube, printer paper. ALL CHILD SAFE and possible implement something kiddy friendly.

Specced, consulted, designed, AWESOME!!!

1 Like

I dunno. There’s something appealing about a video game cabinet with the joysticks built in. Else it might as well be an Xbox…

If a Pi3 is sufficient for most purposes, then I’ve been working on this in the space…

http://imgur.com/a/aSswp (image gallery)

I would be willing to screw it into the wall by the TV and provide a few cheap wireless controllers.

I do agree that a proper cabinet is ideal, and be super fun, but I do think this will be a great alternative.

I’m currently leeching tons of roms at home and intend to put 128gb usb drive and 32gb microsd card in the Pi3. SSH is enabled and WiFi is setup for connecting to the space. I’m not sure else to say or suggest.

2 Likes