Very dirty laser cutter nozzle

It was pretty bad when I came to use it about a week ago with bits of acrylic in the bed. Good to leave it how you want to find it!

3 Likes

Looks a little like low air flow through the nozzle. The air should keep that backsplatter off the nozzle and protect the lens. Another possibility is it was working too close to the material, but if that’s the right nozzle for the lens focal length, and focused accurately, it should be a reasonable distance from the working surface.

I think the airflow is to blame, the intake is always caked up with materials

Sure but I think the point being made is that it’s always good to clean it when you finish using the machine :wink:

1 Like

I found the laser in this state a few times before, It’s very sad that we have this great tool and people abuse it.

Maybe a message sent out to all the laser users to remind them of cleaning before and after?

2 Likes

There was a bug in Ruby which caused air assist not to work properly.

It might be worth trying to ensure it’s working.

Also certain materials just shouldn’t be cut but people like to use cheaper materials.

2 Likes

Insufficient airflow is usually caused by the extraction being due a maintenance session. @lasertechs

Oh btw should’ve said, yesterday I corrected the focal lengtht guide/focus stick so it corresponds. Which means it will be cutting crisper and less smokey. Shout out to @jackL for his muscular sausage fingers helping me to unscrew the damn thing.

1 Like

Is that because the new lenses have a different focal length to the previous?

No, the focus stick just wasn’t set properly. Was good enough, but not perfect. Now it should be perfect.

1 Like

You should not need to clean the nozzle after every session. We virtually never have to clean our nozzles (150W cutters). The only things that need regular cleaning are the mirrors and the top of the lens. Of course you need to vacuum the bed when little bits fly around from cutting. We have a pretty large exhaust fan, so that only has to be cleaned every year or two.

1 Like

Hi :smiley_cat: Yes the nozzel should always be checked and cleaned after each use (I wash and clean the laser cutter every Sunday ) and clean the back extraction system with a tooth brush and hoover . The more regularly it is cleaned / checked the better it will perform and the better your work / job will be. Keep well . Brian D=

Yes - we need to clean our filters…

Any volunteers? 2 people and an afternoon should do it…

Thanks!!

Already mentioned it to @Martyn_Thomas who wasn’t aware it needed organizing. I have full faith :slight_smile: Just to confirm @Brendon_Hatcher, this hasn’t been done recently, right?

1 Like

Confirming that it hasn’t been done since 30 Jan 2022.

1 Like

Yea - It is time!

Wasn’t aware it was a thing until @Kyle told me :slight_smile:

Happy to sort it out

Happy to assist but I’m flat out this week if it needs to be done asap. Could do an afternoon next week.

1 Like

It’s an every 6months thing…

Any dates looking good? I’m happy to assist!