Use of 1.75mm materials on the Utilmaker 2+

You can run some TPUs on bowden cable. My ender3 has uses a bowden (good quality one though) and I can get TPU working there.
Ultimaker won’t have any problem on running in it :slight_smile:

Also, as flashforge is direct drive and dual extructer, it might be fantastic to print PLA+TPU in a single print!

But it needs to be approved first. It’s fine as I still need to learn how to use the FlashForge

You people should first test dual colour, really, the dreamer it’s very feedly to calibrate for dual extruder operations.

But it does TPU and ABS without problems, I tried.

Going dual colour only for now is currently my main goal with what I was doing in the space on Thursday. Regarding getting filament for the Dreamer, how can we go about requesting this?

1 Like

I still haven’t played with any dual extruder, I imagine it must be double trouble :joy:
But I want to give it a go as it’s an interesting thing to learn, and once we can have other types of filaments printed, it will be very handy

I also have plans of TPU+PLA prints hehe

1 Like

As mentioned we don’t keep stock of filament for members (that can be looked at in future, as it might be a good idea)

If materials are needed for experimentation just let @directors know rough costs and if you’re happy to buy them and claim costs here’s the process

When we get an operational 3dtechs team going we’ll sort out a pre-paid debit card if needed

1 Like

It was a bit non-scientific when we originally did it. The research on ABS was vague but worrying, so we decided to be safe and not allow it, and stick to PLA…and this has never been reviewed

Any materials used will need to be assessed for both health and safety and environmental impact (we have a public commitment to be environmentally responsible to a high level)

There’s always the option to bring in fume as a mitigation extraction if necessary

One further consideration is simplicity of use at SLMS: using only PLA makes it new-user friendly

Thanks @Dermot! I’ll bring in some of my own next time I’m in :blush:

1 Like

As a principle (being able to spontaneously make stuff) having some filament for members to use fits perfectly with our ethos…so far it’s worked by members just donating

All the stuff that is there is freely available for members use, correct?

Otherwise we can’t realistically store 300 members spools of PLA…

Years back I was told that if you leave it there, you’re saying “use some, but leave some”

2 Likes

Sounds good- I will add this as a note to the tool page, otherwise I think it’s not totally clear!

Yes, no members storage there…but a convention of ‘it belongs to____, but welcome to use’ has arisen

1 Like

I got just one spool of TPU, so when I need to test it there, I will take mine for the day and bring it back…

About the safety, ABS is very toxic and not recommended at all indoors without proper filtering and ventilation, same with ASA
Other filaments like TPU and PETG are as safe as PLA, so it shouldn’t be a problem to print

Btw, some filaments can be very very easy to clog or to damage the nozzle, like PLA Carbon Fibre. So before using it, the printer will need some steel nozzles… I guess I got one or two spare at home

We had a ruby nozzle for abrasive filament, someone stole it.

:frowning_face:

Better about those expensive upgrades then
The steel nozzle is very inexpensive, if I find my spares,I can take one to the space

1 Like

When this nozzle wears out we can get a steel one

3 Likes

Just wondering if there was any progress or thoughts on progress on the original question about 1.75mm PLA filament?

Apparently it can be used, we just need to tighten the extruder but there will be compliance in the bowden tube

Ok, if the 3d techs aren’t unhappy (tho presumably will be keen for the machine to be diligently set back to the regular / 2.8 config after use) I guess I just found a use for the moderate pile of 1.75mm PLA I inherited recently :slight_smile:

Or you can use the Dreamer