Turn my amplifier on when my TV turns on

My TV has crappy speakers (they all do these days)

I have a cheap T-class amplifier plugged into it, powering some decent speakers. I leave it turned on because the idle power draw is very low and it’s annoying to walk across the room every time I turn the TV on or off.

But still. There’s a very slight hiss, and it’s the principle of the thing.

How can I turn the amp on when the TV is on, and turn it off when the TV is off, without drawing much/any power when it’s off?

The amp has 12V power supply rated at 2A

Look at a power supply for computers - with one master plug and some slave plugs. Master goes on, slaves also go on.

One like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROTECT-ENERGY-EXTENSION-CLEARANCE-BQP6NFOC/dp/B000LUW13S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500048403&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+extension+energy+save

From the description of it: " the Intelligent Mains Panel with Surge Protection will automatically switch power to your monitor, scanner, printer, games console, speakers and other peripherals when your computer is in use"

3 Likes

Also appears to meet your Amp requirements…

Perfect! Of course it exists in the market :slight_smile:

1 Like

or if you want DIY, a lot of TV’s have a USB socket, you can collect a 5v sig from that and switch a relay ?

Courty

2 Likes

Or if you really want to over-engineer it, and the TV is “smart”, you could use a combination of ARP and something like https://www.npmjs.com/package/lgtv to work out when the TV is turned on, and then use a GPIO on a Pi or micro to flip a relay.

Or an LDR/photodiode over the Standby light to detect the same.

or you could just use one of those things that already exists and would be much easier. :smiley:

1 Like

How very clever! I think we need one of those too.

2 Likes

The Logitech Harmony universal remote control range implements this feature very well. Of course, your amp would need to be remote controllable, or a simple power on/off remote IR system for the amp would be required.

1 Like

I used to have that. A very effective solution, I thought.