Tormek needs new shaft

I have a Triton stone myself and never had any issues with nicks on the side. Any sharpening stone is brittle and hence the sides are vulnerable to chipping when knocked against other hard surfaces.

The equivalent 250mm tormek stone is roughly double and a bit

For normal planes and chisels the Triton stone is fine. Since the shaft was changed stones can be changed over in seconds if need be.

Might be worth getting one of the harder tormek stones for turning (not the standard one as it will groove easily).

All good points @LuptonM. Opinion in the woodturning world seems divided (no surprise there!) about Tormek diamond stones. It seems agreed that grooving can result on the original Tormek stone, even with careful use of the jigs. However, the vast majority of sharpening at our space will not be turning tools, it is probably chisels, plane irons etc. So such a heavy investment in a diamond wheel is probably not justified for the minority of members who sharpen turning tools. Plus my understanding is that the diamond dressing accessory we have is not used on diamond wheels, so accidental damage and ongoing wear to the expensive diamond wheel could not be β€œfixed”. But I could be wrong. It would definitely make sense in a private workshop dedicated to turning where really high degrees of sharpness are routinely essential.

There is also the question of which diamond stone to get - they come in different grits. Another level of complexity.

Overall, my feeling is to invest in a SG-250 original stone if it fits our Tormek (I will find out) for approx 140 GBP, because it will pay off in the long term as @lewisss says. So how do we action this? Does someone have the card?

There is also a black silicon tormek stone which is harder than the normal one (but not a CBN wheel) that might suite

https://www.norfolksawservices.co.uk/products/machinery/sharpening-systems/tormek/tormek-sb-250-blackstone-silicon-stone?gclid=CjwKCAiA78aNBhAlEiwA7B76p1OZhQNNlgxp4kHhFHXamYxruHV5nfUcses96Lcp1H07jommHdS5jxoCsAEQAvD_BwE

@Julia as wood procurement Tsarina, please order a Tormek Original 250 grindstone as agreed with woodtech @lewisss and director @Dermot today. Sample listing at:

@lewisss can you please confirm this is the correct wheel?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Mark has confirmed

2 Likes

I would like to suggest that we also get a new grading stone. The old one was not used correctly and is hollowed out. So it won’t keep the wheel flat anymore.

Agreed, and while we are at it, we are out of honing paste:

And could we order a new box of sandpaper strip please @Julia - we only have a few inches of 400 grit left. The kit is at:

These are for woodturners, but useful for other wood jobs as well.

1 Like