Tool Sharpening Meetup 7/12/21 7pm

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49938eb78> #<Tag:0x00007fa49938ea38> #<Tag:0x00007fa49938e8d0>

Hi all @woodworkers

@calaiswood and I are holding a sharpening session on Tuesday the 7th of December.

We will be grinding, sharpening and honing everything we can find in the woodshop until it is super sharp and polished.

Come along and get our chisels and planes looking sharp again!

5 Likes

I’ll try to attend! What a wonderful idea…

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea! What sharpening kit in reasonable nick do we have?

1 Like

Great idea!

On this topic, a very experienced and skilled member of my wood turning club has offered to teach me how to properlly use a Tormek to sharpen wood lathe tools at his workshop this Thursday. Unless there is substantial objection by @lathetechs or @woodtechs or other woodturners, I propose to remove one of each type of tool (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, scraper, roughing gouge etc.) from the Makerspace on Wednesday afternoon, and return them Thursday night in pristine, sharpened condition. Then I will pass on the knowledge (and possibly video if he will let me shoot it) to other makerspace members at a time to be arranged in future. This will be specific to wood lathe tools only. He has graciously agreed to to this for me for free on a one-time only basis. I have to go to him (with tools) because he is understandably unwilling to travel quite a distance to the MakerSpace (I did try to persuade him). Perhaps I can pass on some of this knowledge during the proposed Tool Sharpening Meetup on 7/12.

5 Likes

Not my remit, but that sounds awesome!

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea, please do! Can’t wait to see more sharpening in the space…thanks Martin!

1 Like

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Please take some chisels and what not to get sharpened! I can do some before and after shots as well! :grinning:

1 Like

Is there anything else we still need for Tuesday? I’m going to try and bring along this granite ‘surface plate’ that I picked up. Has anyone used something like this - with some sort of abrasive material stuck to the surface - to flatten the soles of planes? Any ideas for what kind of abrasive surface to stick to it? These guys recommend this: https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/tips-tricks-issue-95-flattening-a-plane-sole. I was also taking a look at some of the hand-held electric planers - looks like the knives on these could use some honing. Those and the knives on the Wadkin jointer-planer too. I’ve never sharpened those though so will defer to others…

1 Like

1 Like

I’ve seen diamond sheets (I think they were diamond) stuck onto a plate of glass. There’s one in the workshop, @Giles run a sharpening session last year, he knows everything!

I didn’t see this topic in time. With regard to the wadkin planer there are a freshly sharpened set of knives in the cupboard under the chop saw.

Have you thought about running another sharpening induction, this time having someone writing it all down so people follow the same technique as you are?

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone is interested.

We’ll know only by making a post and seeing how many people sign up? Edit: I think many people are interested actually.

2 Likes

We discussed this. There’s more to do so we can organise another one

2 Likes

I’m interested! If you plan a session sometime after mid January, I’m definitely in.

3 Likes