Tool control woodshop and arch 1 doorbot

@systems
@toolcontrol

Bandsaw and router table are working fine now,
Planer thicknesser comes up with connection failed
Table saw not even recognising fobs

Arch 1 door only recognising fobs intermittently

I power cycled them, so we are good for now, @sdsefwseghtqfg we need the new boards ASAP.

Since Woodshop has highest amount of both users and dangerous equipment out of any other area, bad combination.

4 Likes

Thanks guys! We are happy to order the new boards just need to know the bill of materials etc…

I think Roman is doing the final check before he places the order of PCB? @scythian

1 Like

Should I please the order?

Are we going to consider Ethernet?

CAN bus maybe? But that’s for the next version i think.

I don’t really understand why we’ve gone for CAN bus. It seems unnecessarily complicated when Ethernet is the protocol that the membership system talks.

Are you in tomorrow (Wednesday)? It would be way quicker to talk through the board changes that in person and I have some questions for you/stuff that needs t be put on mouser order…

On order - if we’re upgrading the module - can we go into using smth like esp32-c6/c5 ? it is actually cheaper and has wifi6 support which is important?

On ethernet - didn’t we go other direction implementing modbus and making everything wireless? I would argue for one node - door - which actually requires it. What makes anyone think that if we can’t fix existing software that disconnects on WiFi, we would fix any arising (and new) issues with Ethernet on new board?

That was Joe’s suggestion, from the point of stopping people touching them i guess.

Wednesday afternoon after 4pm?

Imagine ESP8266 = Atmel sh*t, ESP32 = stm32 f1, ESP32-S3 = stm32 f4, C2 = l0, C6 = l4+.
ESP32-C6-N8 module cost 2.5 pound each, which still having the similar cost to S3 series but comes with poor processor/ same WiFi emission power and immature official SDKs. I believe it’s better to stick with s3.

About any possibility to change to hard wire connections in future… Who knows. I think with the external antenna, the WiFi is good enough.

Fingers crossed for external antennas.

My concerns are mostly protocol optimisations on radio in WiFi6 like beam steering (which is free +5dB out of nowhere on 4 antennas) and possibility we have narrower transmission time slots. I doubt Ubiquity has it though. I don’t see where nodes are lacking processing power. Ugly SDK is a concern…

I am confused about this whole thing- the old ones worked fine and never had wifi issues tor like 5 years. Is this not a network configuration issue?

1 Like

C5 has more interesting WiFi6 functions however they haven’t been released.

Compared with C6-N8, S3-N8R2 cost the same if we really worry about their price.

By the way C6 series are out of stock.

The problem was there for quite a while - Brian has complained of the issue of shutter for years. Now since the wifi is weaker and the problem is getting more obvious, if we couldn’t afford instilling Ubrique APs in every 8 meters gap, then perhaps we should solve this problem once or all by adding external antenna

Why are we doing tool control over wifi? What’s wrong with Ethernet cables?

The wifi seems to be what is causing the problem

I agree with Ni that better antenna should significantly imrove the problem, and new firmware to make them reconnect should exist.

A lot of the issue is they don’t reconnect themselves when they loose connection.