Timber run (mid september)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b4f65b8>

Yeah fair, if it’s going to be over £50 each for shipping that makes it less enticing. Perhaps next time. Looks like shipping is considerably cheaper for lengths 2.2m or less so could try again for any projects where pieces bigger than that are required?

Do you know much van hire will be roughly for a Fallen and Felled run @matt_carter? I’m looking for a rough sawn ash board 27mm if they have it, 35mm if not, for a bedside bench.

Hello… I’m looking to create a live edge table, suitable for outside. Any advice on type of wood, would be appreciated. I’m currently thinking oak treated with Osmo oil.

I’ve got an estate car and would be happy to drive in exchange for costs.

With two seats down in the back I could take two passengers, one in the front and one in the back.

Lengths of 2.8 timber will fit.

Earliest I can go this week is Thursday 11am.

Let me know if you’re keen for a round trip.

Cheers

Hey Nik,

Yeah I could join! Would you have a preference between going south to Peckham or north to Tottenham ?

@petermakesprints Zipvan is £12.75/hour.

Cocking, Midhurst is 2 hours drive. 4 hours round trip. Shall we say two hours at the venue for good measure?..

6 hours of a transit Zipvan = £83.

Peckham or Tottenham? Peckham is closer but I guess it depends on quality of stock @Matt_Carter

I actually thought we were trying to get a delivery from English Woodlands Timber based in West Sussex so happy to drive to both Peckham and Tottenham if needed.

The Zipvan costs above can be adjusted if we do need a van instead of my car.

If we wanted to meet/ talk this through… I am planning on being down SLMS both Monday (tonight) between 6pm - 9pm and Wednesday 13:30 until about 7pm.

FYI, we have rented vans for SLMS to pick up stuff and usually get them for a full day instead of by the hour for £65 from these guys:

Cheers,
Andy

2 Likes

I’ll come down tonight and meet you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe too late, but you should check around. I used enterprise got a transit Saturday 9am -> Monday 9am for £75. You have to pay for fuel which is a disadvantage over Zipvan, but you have unlimited miles which you don’t get with zipvan (There is a surcharge with zipcar for going too far I think?). So really depends.

Cheers @tmilner - Good point.

Zipcar comes with 60 miles free. 29p there after.

So if we’re just going to Peckham or Tottenham, it sounds like Zipvan is quids in for fuel, ULEZ, congestion charge, pick-up from Herne Hill.

If we go to West Sussex, total trip is ~120 miles. First 60 miles free. Second 60 miles x £0.29 = £17.40.

• £83 for 6 hours = £104 total including fuel, etc.

Let’s work out where we’re going tonight and we can decide whether we need to hire a van based on quantity/ material dimensions and how many orders are sharing costs.

If we don’t need a van, we can use my car which will work out cheaper.

I’ll be in tonight as well from about 6pm, catch you all then!

1 Like

Doubling back on this, feeling a bit rough so going to leave tonight but lmk the verdict as I’m happy to go with the general consensus!

I’m here now, have a cap. On in the woodshop

Just popped to the shop. I’ll be back in five

Did you come to a final verdict on this?

Hi @petermakesprints

I caught up with @Matt_Carter earlier…

We’re going to give the following a call tomorrow:

… With the view of finding out which is likely to have stock of what is required.

I’m new to working with slabs so need to do some additional research around techniques and the process.

Hopefully by end of Wednesday we’ll know whether we visit FallenAndFelled or SurreyTimbers on Thursday.

If you’re interested in buying something, it’ll be worth calling them up and seeing who has what you want in stock and we’ll go from there.

From what Matt was saying, Surrey is more shop-like with products to browse and F+F Black horse is more workshop-like but can bring items into their shop from their Essex yard given the right notice.

Hope that helps. Let’s pick this back up Tuesday and Wednesday.

Cheers

1 Like

It would work, but I would recommend osmo uv protect oil , and be prepared to refinish it every year.

Also apply finish to the underside as well or it will bow

Here is mine when it was done, I need to bring it in to the space to refinish it as it has been neglected for about 4 years and it looks shite!

5 Likes

Cheers!

I’m not looking for a slab so much as a board of ash to try making a small bench for the first time, they’ll definitely have what I need at F&F but will take a look at ST as well.

Appreciate you keeping me in the loop, cheers!

heyo - i’m also looking to do a bench / coffee table combo, but with a live edge top

is this the sort of stock you are looking at? - https://www.surreytimbers.co.uk/product/american-ash-rough-sawn-hardwood/

1 Like

They have an English timber section I was looking at actually!

I think the Surrey timbers American ash is a bit more expensive than F&F English ash fyi, not that that necessarily matters much. There are some UK felled boards at ST which seems interesting, I’m looking at something like this