Thursday 14th June 2018 - Electronic night with tablet shenanigans - wanna play and learn?

Let us take apart and/or some how salvage some quite broken tablet computers

I’m offering a hacking session of trying to do something useful with a pile of broken/dead/smashed android tablet computers.

I imagine you can practice separating lcd’s from digitizers, desolder and solder seemingly impossible devices like ball grid array devices… Play about with hardware that you dont care if you break further and maybe learn something.

Thursday 14th June - Evening - To happen at same time as usual Thursday electronics meeting that night.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make this one but hope it goes well so there will be another one for me to attend in the future!

1 Like

Good evening! What time do you/ we all anticipate being in the space? Looking forward to it!

I’ll be along…but may be a bit late: save something to fix for me!

im embaresssd to say i overslept and late but im in taxi now and theres a black bag under the electronic components with tablets in. please help yourselves to the contents and pick one or two you fancy practicing with.

first thing i was going to do is to see what happens when you try to tablet on, does it light up, have an operating system, smashed lcd and or digitizer, etc. then dig out a similar tablet which could be used for spares, such as take an lcd or digitizer and put on other.

the second thing i thought we could do was to use hot air to warm the glass which will cause the adhesive to become loose allowing for the glass to be removed.

so very sorry for this poor show with being so late. :frowning:

8:36 taxi arrival <3

Boom

2 Likes

yay hacking !

tonight rocked and went so well, thanks all for participating <3

3 Likes

A brilliant session. Thanks Morris @electronoob

When shall we do it again?

Would be good to document some of our discoveries: Kindle fire 3rd gen LCD comes out easily, various PW reset quirks etc etc…?

I want to have a go removing SMDs next time…

1 Like

This might be a good place to document stuff

https://www.ifixit.com

Did any zombie tablets regain the spark of life?

2 Likes