Temporary photographic studio

yeah should work!

Can we get some flash lights then?

CFL and Led aren’t full spectrum so you get horrid smudgy colors. Unless you get proper phosphor LED but then you’d be spending over £1k on one light. Daylight fluo is OKish though (a bit green). Halogen is best bang for buck but gets really hot and you need lots of watts.

Flash is most convenient and very powerful but more expensive. Although there is cheap chinese stuff knocking around on ebay.

For diffusion white opaque acrylic is fantastic and cheap, we use it all the time. No need for a softbox, these cost a lot of money and aren’t very versatile

You’d probably only need 1 light for a simple studio setup. Maybe a second to over expose the white background. But that’s about all you need.

1 Like

Nice idea, tho’ goes against one of the tricks here: use a roll of paper, so you always unroll a fresh, unblemished section as your background.

Also: ive taken that screen back, to use as a screen.

2 Likes

how about on the wall between clean and messy? between the double doors and the fire escape? or is an electrikals bench going there?

Electronics bench… JA is just finishing it now I believe

Courty

1 Like

I always use a roll of white paper too :smile: ! Sometimes an A2 or A1 piece of paper, all propped up to the infinity curve on my living room table and surrounded by the same paper to brighten. It really is all about light and am lucky to have amazing light in my home between 10am and midday to do this. I’ve photographed this way with good results. On my phone!

These things are now called ‘Life Hacks’, quality ways to do things with low cost, clever tricks and good outcomes.

I think the real questions are - What are the photographs for? What are you aiming to do?

@joeatkin2 what great things are you planning :slight_smile: Am intrigued, what are’ya up to creating? Love it.

Paper and natural light is flexible, cheap and I’d imagine will cover as much as we will realistically build as a studio. Though does require a dry day, the sun moves, etc.

I’m wary of buying flashes as that ups the technical requirement and excludes any camera without a shoe.

But but but I’m not dismissing this line of thought. We need ways to get documentation out of the space. Some video LED panels for YouTube talk-throughs and an event format to get videos made would be great, for instance.

1 Like

I can donate a old dslr 5 mpixels is still OK for the Web and it would be useful to members to build up a portfolio of stuff we make .

And the fact that it would be set up by our pro members it would alow the rest of us to punch above our weight as far as our photos .

If you want to do a proper infinity curve a white perspex which can have a light behind to kill shadows, or soften them is ideal, but the surface needs to be easily replaceable. So using the projection screen wouldn’t work.

Professional lights even 2nd hand are really dear as Barnaby says and flashes will only work with camera that has a shoe as Tobys says.

Why do the photographs need to be pro quality? Why not good quality amateur photos?

Using paper or the curved acrylic that TomL and Barnaby suggest, the camera donated by Joe and a light that Barnaby could advise on for a reasonable cost. As TomN says more money went out than in last month and professional photography is outrageously expensive.

I’ve used the Nimbus Cloud system (for small items only) as well as one of those tent type ones and don’t rate either of them and they’re dear. How about making something similar?
http://www.clouddome.com/store/nimbus_dome_light_diffuser.shtml

All we are going for is better than average , and I don’t think that we are talking about pro flash’s just cheap second hand ammeter flash lamps .

It will just be really good to document the stuff that we make.

2 Likes

If you want cheap just get one of those chinese 1000w daylight fluo lamps off ebay and blast it through some acrylic.

For the cove paper is really expensive and acrylic scratches and is super glossy (you’ll see the room in it in a cove configuration)
Bend a thin sheet of ply over a frame and paint it white and you’d have something more durable.

3 Likes

Could always go for a couple of barn doored Blondes or Redheads hung from the gantry, plenty of light out of those…
You think Arri would sponsor us ?

Courty

2 Likes

I almost wombled a collection of stage lights from CASS several months ago. Wish I had now.

4 Likes

I think flash is the only way to fo it

not the only way, LED panels are adequate and give good shots, adequate for what we need, which is for fun right? flash is better for stills, but video has been mentioned.

Something with barn doors helps a lot something like this - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-Sale-Camera-accessories-Photo-equipment_60527485630.html - two of them on tripods or gantry and a camera on tripod with item on infinity cove (+1 for painted ply), slick photos.

Continuous lighting also presents a relatively serious risk of fire especially with soft textiles and perspex/paper, flash is much less risky in this way.

At work we have Kino Flo lights but they are just standard Osram fluorescent bulbs, maybe you could build something.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Prolinca-400-studio-Flash-Heads-GN-64-/122278467956?hash=item1c785d5974%3Ag%3ApzwAAOSwh2xX~mP6&_trkparms=pageci%3A213e7253-c93c-11e6-ae7c-005056b6898a%7Cparentrq%3A2ce75da01590a6a8cb4174bcffce763d%7Ciid%3A16

@pip , @Barnaby_Coote how about that ?

Would need soft boxes, stands, cables.