Storing projects - everything in the Snug please!

An excellent hard-working and efficient team spent last Saturday sorting out the Snug and cataloguing its contents

There’s now a good amount of space to store projects, with more space opening up every day as members collect and claim abandoned and forgotten treasures

So…ahead of the Spring clean at the end of March (when everything under the arch this side of the Snug will be gone through) please clear any personal projects from the workshops and social area (a very quick scan last night spotted half a dozen ‘works in progress’ with no one progressing them on benches, shelves, in corners and squirrelled away)…Last year the Spring clean was ruthless and members lost some good gear, so mitigate that risk by storing stuff safely in the Snug with a storage request

Projects left out while not being worked on reduce working space for fellow members, encourage collateral clutter (!) and also skew the storage system – we can’t gauge how much storage we need if we don’t have the data!

We have a clear bench policy in many areas, so please don’t be offended if other members move your unattended stuff to the three week bin – it’s not personal, it’s the system we agreed!

3 Likes

Thought I’d revive this old post as it covers storage and the ‘three week bin system’

As we start to get busier a bit of clutter is starting to gather (looking at you, electronics benches!) plus there was an unfortunate dumping of e-waste in our skip this week – a Cambridge Audio amplifier in bits. E-waste needs to be responsibly dealt with

To mitigate both of these we need the three week bin system back to ‘store’ left out projects and give useful waste and abandoned projects a chance for in-house recycling before going into the waste stream

2 Likes

I can put this back in place later on today - we need someone to rotate the labels or whatever and clear it out though, I forget who was doing that pre-covid…

Cheers,
Andy

1 Like

does Quantum sort e-waste? If not we should really find a solution for this. Same with batteries.

If this is thrown into the skip the company that picks the skip up will sort the waste anyways though and things would get recycled or sent to the right facilities to be disposed of.

Yes, I understand how skips work, but I’m not going to gloss over irresponsible tipping of e-waste, except to note that the three week bins weren’t handy, which made it unclear where to put the amp (taking it home to dispose of would have been best if it wasn’t considered useful for members as it’s not SLMS property and commercial waste handling costs us money)

As an organisation we are committed to environmental and climate responsibility, and need to do much better than this: along with everyone else we’ve forgotten how to do a bunch of things during COVID, and things like this help us

2 Likes

We used to have a battery recycling box in the space! How do we get another one, that got a lot of use!!

1 Like

The battery box was full of batteries for years and never emptied.

1 Like

True, how do we get one and have a way of emptying it?

1 Like

We have to find places where we can dump them the right way, have a role for that? Could be part of the environmental role group? Just an idea.

Yea if we have an environmental role that seems like a perfect fit…

People can split the work, so, again, it’s not all on shoulders of one person, unless they’d enjoy that. Should make a post about this!

Sure sounds good, lets get some named volunteers for these initiatives , otherwise these are just ideas and not reality…

As anything unless someone volunteers and goes for it.

1 Like

What do you think about this, @StudioNelle ?

Apologies, I’m a little lost. My thoughts on e-waste? or storage issue. Sorry I can’t grasp what is happening?

Thoughts on e-waste…I should have created another thread, apologies for not being clearer.