Steel Sheet Cutting

Hi @metaltechs

What’s the best way to cut 1mm sheet metal in the workshop? Are there any hand tools like nibblers/snips?

Thanks!
Eimhin

• Guillotine shears. Don’t stick you fingers into it. Would bend/warp metal.
  • We do have some nibbler on the top shelf with tools, don’t know what condition. There are snips, in regular not-so-good condition for snips, usually live in pliers box.
  • Vertical bandsaw. Currently broken once again, I need to have a look, also don’t use without me present.
1 Like

Okay cheers!

Jumping on this one, I’ve also been wondering same thing. Would using angle grinder work to cut sheet steel into artistic shapes? Perhaps with the help of something like this (stand that turns it into a fixed tool)? Or is that a recipe for injury.

We already have a jig similar to that already and it always looked sketchy to me. Metalworking is an area where there is a suitable tool for all kinds of tasks. There’s a wide variety of tools that cut metal but it really depends on the piece and how you’re trying to cut it. Guillotine shears for short (180mm approx? I didn’t measure), clean, and straight cuts on 1mm maybe 2mm sheets. Angle grinder for quick and rough cuts but not really suitable for sheet metal unless you know what you’re doing. Cold saw for large cross sectional cuts on big stock, not really for sheet. Bandsaw is similar but again not really for sheet. Plasma cutter for heavy duty thick steel sheets if you’re cutting larger area pieces. Small vertical bandsaw for small and finer work. We also have a Dremel in an unknown condition which can be used for cleaning and refining edges.

We have all of these tools but more information is needed to give better advice. If you let us know what exactly you’re trying to achieve, we can give more detailed answers, and others can learn from this too. :slight_smile:

General reply building on the topic: is angle grinder use restricted to the welding area so the extractor can be used? If it isn’t, can it be? I say this after spending 5 seconds with a grinder shaping a 3mm bolt the other day and noticing how quickly the smell of grinder disc and burnt metal arises, and how long it lingers without the extractor on.

On extraction - the short answer is yes - angle grinders only in welding area with extraction ON or outside. Same with all stone cutting/sharpening.

That’s an interesting point which I don’t have a good answer to. It is quite hard to enforce policy with huge implications. I have similar thoughts on woodshop being dusty btw.

• It’s damaging to metalshop precision machinery, small particles will grind off any metal bits they settle on.
  • It’s damaging to your own health. For the understanding, I’ve brought a PM2.5 particle meter it shows double the norm (London outside) while you grind directly in front of extraction turned ON. Try grinding for 15 minutes and look at surfaces around you. Similar thing happens to your lungs.
  • It’s damaging to others. I have a bit of personal attitude to this, cause I’m visibly allergic to angle grinder dust. I know immediately you’ve been grinding and I’m coming after you :sweat_smile:. I’m sure I’m not the only one affected. People in ceramics would be as well, and they would develop this new thing quickly, speaking of which
  • It’s damaging to ceramics area. The only reason they’ve built the door they’re scared of dust sticking to their clay

I’m open to any ideas how to get this across. I’ve hunted infrastructure team to the point they’re not doing it in front of me. I’m thinking of particle sensors, alarm and electricity shut off.

3 Likes

We do have one, but currently I’m way more keen on people using regular angle grinders - at least the hand you’re holding it with is safe. This thing is ok if you do it right, but we need to do proper risk assessment first.

Speaking of which - noone in the space is allowed to use red metal chop saw except it’s owner. It is an infrastructure tool, not metalshop. I mean this one:

Any news on the blue chop saw?

Sold and gone to it’s new owner, if you’re about cold one

2 Likes

Have you measured other areas of the space?

No, but if you leave extraction running my meter from ~50 quickly drops to ~20ug/m3 where it stays
Qualitative of course. I can bring it once again if you want to research it further.

@petra Following on a discussion we had a while back. I’d be keen to take Roman up on his offer. What do you think?

Hi all,:smiley: ajigsaw cutter with a fine metal blade works very well, ( I hope this is of some help ) Brian D=

1 Like