Stanley No 62 sweetheart low angle jack plane

Thoughts anyone? @AndyPaine in particular, I think. You are the plane guru aren’t you?! Apologies if I’ve got the wrong person.

Wanna make a snooker cue and wondering if this plane would be good for the job.

Do we have one at the space?

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should mention this around now - I’ve just bought the Quangsheng No. 62 clone from Workshop Heaven as I wanted the spare blades and even though it is Chinese, the quality control seems to be pretty good (Workshop Heaven have excellent customer service even if it isn’t right).

We don’t have one at the space and I’m unsure on its suitablity for snooker cue making - it is quite wide and reasonably heavy. To my knowledge (from this video), it seems that you are planing one handed when making the cue so a block plane might be better. The upshot to the LA Jack is that it will do pretty much everything to an okay standard though so you would get a plane for all purposes.

Once mine arrives I’ll bring it round at some point and you can have a play. I’m keen for making a cue at some point too.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to us. I’ve been driving myself mad all day on t’internet comparing the Quangsheng, Stanley, Lie Nielsen, Veritas & Axminster Rider No.62s and I’m completely at a loss!

I want an all round plane and like the idea of having one that can change its use by switching blades rather than having loads knocking about.

The issue is trying to decipher which one is best and trying to find out about all the blades they do.

For instance, I read an article about the LN one and that they used 25, 33, 38 & 50 degree blades. It comes with a 25 and they sell a 50, but not the others. Doesn’t this mean they’ve bought the standard 25 and tormek’d it to the angle they want? Is that possible? Would I be able to buy blades of whatever make and sharpen them to my own specifications?

I’m very new to planes, so don’t want to rush in and make a silly purchase. I want to work out which one best suits and go from there.

Having a look and a feel of the QS when you’re about would be a great start! Cheers for that.

It’s here. It’s all shiny and pretty :smiley: Let me know when you are around in the space and I’ll bring it in for a look. First impressions are that the machining looks pretty good and the japanning is excellent. I managed to get one of the remaining Bubinga handled one’s which I’m pleased about since I have another Quangsheng spokeshave and the handles match :slight_smile: The 50 degree blade looks just plain (plane? :stuck_out_tongue:) wrong at that angle but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Going to try and nab something with really nasty grain like some Yew off my dad to really put it through its paces.

1 Like