Spruce up the arch

They’re responsible for this beauty…

3 Likes

This is what I meant! designs are put in by members, and a vote decides which one… and the temporary idea I like … similar to the plinth at trafalgar sq

1 Like

I like the idea of a little vote on a handful of submitted designs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only thing I would say is that so far we’ve not really been graffitied, however this may change so something in the design requirement about it being easily repainted after tagging.

Photos from July 2015, here’s the lighter grey, I was trying to find the darker paint name.

I made the trip to B&Q today for some sample pots and bought the 4 darkest, they don’t do neutral greys and looking at photos from 2015 it looks like the paint has faded substantially from the ultra dark navy blue back then.

I’m fairly sure the paint was Deep Space Echo:

But I also tested the other colours, and am wondering if the brownish one might work well with the arch:

Test patches and pots are in the same order left to right:

I think a mural commission is a good way to engage with local artist / maker communities and promotes us (though I know we don’t need it), been meaning to suggest it for a while, and changing it up every few months keeps it from feeling like a huge commitment / decision.

The main decision to be made is to keep it members only or open to the public (both members and non members), I think both have been suggested. Personally I think maybe the first one should be members only, then in the future we can maybe open it up?

I’ll start a new thread…

2 Likes

Also if a member was to do it would they be paid, we’ve never paid anyone for their time before, might this set a new precident that would discourage members volunteering?

I found some more test colours im gonna try out but B&Q is closing before I have time today.

1 Like

Nice one tom :blush:

Do you think there will be a coat on before the BBQ?

I’m not sure yet but I don’t really think I’ll be around much this week to help out - pending trip to Wales with work.

Probably not as it’s been too wet to paint and I don’t have a day free before the weekend.

I’m going to paint it tomorrow if the weather forecast stays dry, folks are welcome to join me.

2 Likes

I might be able to help later, what’s the plan?

I’m coming over now to decide on a colour with who ever is present. The directors and members I’ve asked thus far didn’t have a strong opinion although no one liked the brown.

Well it’s just started raining inspitenof the forecast for 0% chance of rain from lots of apps.

I’m going to go get a tin of paint for next time

Disaster, I was just about to head over.

I’ll swing by anyway for other things, you never know the sun might come out!

Yeah I’m on my way back if it’s dry and looks blue out we can get started

Weather is looking much better now @liam, will pop back in a bit.

Needs a bit of patching up here and there and a taller ladder @dermot if you could help with that?

8 Likes

Looks great :slight_smile: