Space Open this Friday 26th?

Hello!

Keen to get some laser cutting done before Monday 29th for a project. I am aware that there is due to be a lathe inducton in the evening. Is anyone with shutter access planning to around before? Very greatful if so!

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

Got you covered!

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/17-00-open-all-day/33763

Cheers,
Andy

Incredible ! thank you!

1 Like

Hey,

Thanks for opening up today @asander1

Some of us had booked into the laser cutter here: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/18-30-21-30-lathe-induction/33537

My booking didn’t clash much and I’ve moved it across, but just wanted to flag that there’s some clashes with some other bookings on the other thread:

Old thread 18:30 - 21:30 Lathe induction
Lasercutter: @Jaydee_Daley 10:00-14:30 @danl 14:30-17:00 @shawaj 17.30-18:30

New thread - 23:30 Open All Day
Lasercutter: @squigleah 10:00 - 12:00 @danl 14:00 - 16:00 @JonathanBenShaul 16:00 - 20:00

Also what is the best practice / rule here? Should we not have preemptively booked onto the laser cutter if the space wasn’t open? Or should you check the other threads for bookings first?

Thanks,
Dan

… I didn’t think people would be booking timeslots pre-emptively. I’ve got everything planned for the day based around that slot. That’s honestly really thrown me.

There should not have been any preemptive bookings in the old booking, and the new booking should have stopped when the old booking started. So it’s a bit of a mess. I have noticed preemptive bookings occurring more frequently recently.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t expect that you could book pre-emptively.

And it does say here https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/how-to-book-the-space/19085
“If there is no booking yet for the time you want, feel free to start a Discussion to see if anyone who has shutter access will be coming in and just haven’t booked yet.”

1 Like

I’d like to come into the space and see if I can wrangle a slot but frankly, and I hope this doesn’t bother people with me sharing, but I’m autistic and my plans being thrown has sent me into a meltdown so I can’t leave the house right now. Can someone contact me if there’s a space that comes up? I’m so sorry.

2 Likes

I am truly sorry that this confusion with bookings has caused you such distress. I am not at the space but hope there will be some time for you to use the lasercutter. I am happy to commit a day next week to host if you need the lasercutter more. Let me know

2 Likes

Bookings should be made on the Space Open Page. In any case, the lathe induction is from 18:30-21:00, so booking outside those times there is a nullity. If e.g. someone had booked the space open only to 16:00, then it would be ok to add the person doing the induction as a host for the induction times in the Space Open page and make a booking within that time.

Ill be there momentarily and hopefully we can sort it out!

1 Like

@SquigLeah - you have the laser properly booked from 10:00 today. It’s a horrible confusion and we’ll all do our best to get things to work out.

2 Likes

Just saw this thread! I did not meant to cause an issue apologies! I hadn’t seen that people had booked during the lathe induction and my understanding was that bookings could only be made when the space was open. New to to space so not fully on top of how space booking works yet! Happy to be flexible around anyone elses projects!

I dont think its anyones fault, the booking system just isn’t very clear in these scenarios.

If we are going to try out making a booking for the whole day with hosts having opening times listed (which I think is what @asander1 has done here) then we need to clearly communicate that is how to do booking going forward so we don’t have this overlap and potential for confusion. Maybe it can be added to the event template and this updated so its clear when ever anyone creates an event that it should be all day?

Will discuss with @kyle later on as they talked about what to do at the systems meeting last night

My booking was originally from 10-17 and it got messed up by being extended over Petras booking… so yea, one per day would greatly simplify it

3 Likes

You didn’t at all. You made a booking on the Space Open page within the time that it’s open. The only hairsplitting thing is missing out the @ in front of the name on your booking, which hardly matters, otherwise all exactly as it should be.

Maybe we need a way to create events like inductions which only lists that induction and doesn’t give all the tools that might be booked.

1 Like

When I booked (yesterday) there was only one booking showing, and I just wanted to come a little bit before my induction to use the laser cutter.

To be honest, it’s not clear at all that you shouldn’t do that or book on a booking with a time opening like that and I’ve definitely seen people do it before. Also, people had already booked on there for various things as well.

And incidentally even though the title says 18.30-21.30 the time on that booking says 22.30

So it’s about as clear as mud

Yea, its not anyone’s fault, the system doesn’t work very well… we are discussing a fix asap