Soldering Iron - fire safety

I came in this morning and just noticed a soldering iron had been left on overnight. I’ve switched it off.
Please be careful, we don’t want to burn the place down!

1 Like

Is it possible to put a timer switch on, like those found in communal halls in apartment buildings? A dead-man’s handle sort of thing.

Benches will have stop buttons on them soon hopefully

Or we could have a space shutdown feature on the shutter the woodshop already has the hardware in place and messy will do in the next few days

Well, that’s not good.

I know I turned off the one I used yesterday but I was thinking about the whole soldering iron issues recently :

• We are getting soldering irons magically disappearing and reappearing on the benches (legend say that the mechanic still have one of ours , a new hakko blue one)

• We need proper ventilation installed.

• We need a safety switch that turn off the Irons after , like 30 minutes? maybe with a led blinking in case is about to turn it off and a mushroom switch to reset the timer.

This happened last night as well, I was about to leave and the soldering iron had been left on and it wasn’t clear anyeone was there.

Having the iron hard wired into the bench via a run back timer would be the best solution…

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTGBT4.html?ad_position=1o1&source=adwords&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=SMTGBT4&product_partition_id=174056220547&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CNXWpcK1tdMCFUI8GwodMeEDxg

Or, just wire into the existing sockets, and have clearly labelled ‘soldering iron only’ sockets, as hard-wiring the irons would need an ugly collection of spurs.

Unless this timing do-hicky would count as a fused spur and switch.

http://www.connevans.co.uk/product/3073559/MX429833/30-minute-rundown-timer-socket

+1 for this gaffa-taped to the plugs in question :wink:

Socket version can and will be bypassed, plus it has no granularity.

The type I suggested would probably require a fuse spur also, but it cannot be defeated.

Pall plans to put the whole bench on tool control it can be looked after by software

Is the plan for it to turn off automatically after 15 minutes then?

It should also be noted that a soldering iron is not hot enough to start a fire .

It’s not good leaving them on but it’s not a panic problem

1 Like

really?

soldering iron is >300°C and ignition temp of paper is 233°C

Until is closed in a room whit no one around is fine, if is a quality iron that doesn’t burn it’s own thermistor and start to overheat.

The real problem is another one, people will walk by thinking is off and get burnt , or put stuff on them , that can lead to a fire, we got wood particles everywhere in the space…

Is not a direct fire hazard, I agree, are the indirect consequences of leaving a piece of metal at 350 degree in the space without anyone know it.

Is like to say that guns are safe , people are stupid.

Guilty… if it was the maplins one .

I used it early hours of this morning.

i remember turning the bench lights off.

but dont remember turning off the iron, but am usually good with this

1 Like

It was the Maplin one last night.

Anyway’s aside from the fire question leaving irons on for long periods of time trashes the tips.

2 Likes

Having spent several hours armed with that information and fuelled by addiction trying to light a cigarette at 3 am in the morning I would argue that it is not easy to light anything with a soldering iron
Please note that I failed

3 Likes

I said it’s not good but it’s not the end of the world

1 Like