Software that makes 3d nets/patterns?

Anyone know of any free or affordable software that makes printable patterns for 3d designs?

1 Like

Can you post an example of the sort of thing you’re looking to make?

1 Like

Not sure if this is what you need but Pepakura is a really great tool for turning 3d models in to 2D nets that can be printed out and folded in to 3D models. http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

1 Like

loads of ways to do this either in 3d or 2D
what is it you actually want to do ? is it a mesh you are 3d printing ?
How many repititions are you going for ? if you want a very fine mesh you will get very heavy geometry and might need either a plugin or a good pc

1 Like

No my description is rubbish. I’m not 3d printing. I want to foam fabricate something and I need a pattern for it but I’m wondering if I can cut corners by creating the pattern on the computer rather than doing it the traditional way of making a small model, taking a pattern from that and then scaling up. Does that make more sense? I do have a model but it is too small to take a pattern from.

Very rough just sketching out my ideas. But wandering if there is a quicker way.

Yeah this might work. I can round of edges afterwards

You can 3D scan stuff but the results might not be good enough from affordable systems.

You could model this in 3D but they’ll be a learning curve obviously. A couple of good organic shape modellers are Rhino and Modo, and many others.

Alternatively, just make it 1:1 by hand?? What kind of foam? What mechanically you need it to be when finished, fairly light I presume?

1 Like

No can’t make it 1:1 has to be hollow and 5ft tall. I have the foam already CF100 10mm. Light is good but doesn’t have to be incredibly light as will have frame to support and counterweights if necessary.

Maybe I should just make a bigger model afterall :relieved:

Autodesk have some software that turns your design into laser cuttable slices, for cardboard or perspex?

1 Like

I used this for my final year project at universtiy 14 years ago. Great to see it still being updated! :slight_smile:

That is definately going on my 2018 project list!

you can use photogrammetry to get a 3D model from a real model, something like 123D is good enough and free.
Take photos with alot of parallax if possible, and in neutral ambient lighting.
You get a terribly heavy and badly behaved mesh, but you can re-topologise in something like
Z-brush, which will also allow u to add change model.
There might be a learner edition online, or alternatively its easy to get
a …cough…free-ish edition.

Never used Rhino and Modo but they are popular with medium, smaller studios so prob good.

Pepakura is what i use, fairly straight forward.
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

Made the paper amps in my profile thing with it.