Software Engineering Bootcamp

My son is considering taking the part-time version of this course.

Has anyone ever heard of them?
Any and all comments are appreciated.

Here’s the syllabus.
software-engineering-course-syllabus.pdf (3.9 MB)

Full disclosure: I did not hear of this camp before; however, I have gona through a few different ones few years ago (like datacamp). I am a biologist turned software developer.

I have a question - what does he hope to get from it? From my experience the following works much better if you desire to just gain a general (or even a very narrow) skill: Choose a subject you are passionate about a trying to build a project out of it - initially, you have no idea what you are doing, but you just google - how do I do “x”/what is the best way to do “x”; 90/100 times (especially for the intro stuff) there is a perfect tutorial/youtube video and you learn from that - importantly, your stuff is never gonna work the first, second, or third time, but eventually you will get it right and (I can’t stress this enough; based on personal experience) learn a ton in the process - way more than I ever could take from a lecture.

Does he have any ‘awareness’ of the field? Is he switching carreers? Is he a young student looking to enter the labour market for the first time? Something else different entirely?

Looking at the sylabus and the tuition fees, I believe he might be better off just using that money to fund himself just ‘making a project’ (based on the sylabus, I assume building a website - let’s say he is passionate about photography [insert any other hobby] - great make a website showing off your photos) that he ends up publishing to github (or equivalent), deploying the website and putting that on his CV instead - nowadays, it looks very equivalent if not even better than a course hiring-vise.

I can think of a bunch of different tips depending on the exact circumstances.

To be clear - I am not saying that the course is a bad idea, or that he won’t learn anything, or that it is a waste of money. I just really depends, imho.

:pray:

3 Likes

Thanks for looking at this and giving me your input.

I didn’t phrase the question very well, there is much more background information.

He is about to, or has the opportunity to, join a team developing a gym management software solution working for my eldest son who is busy building his gym empire. He already works for my eldest son in another role.

He has shown interest in computer studies and has an A level in the subject.

I’ve tried to get him to build the website and backend for my wind monitoring business with limited success, he mainly just enjoys going to the music festivals! But he is pretty good with Grafana now.

He has been very ill in the past and struggles with motivation, so some structure is a necessity.

I think that he does need to do this or a similar course in the near future, it’s just that I’m struggling to find any obviously independent reviews of either the course or the provider.

1 Like

oh no, is it curable ?

4 Likes