Social area clear out and clean up Friday 6th October

I’m going to make a start on sorting out the social area, this Friday from 2pm - 6pm.

If anyone is free and wants to help, please come along!

Goal:
Turn the social area and its immediate surroundings into a clean, welcoming space that’s free of hazards and random junk.

Jobs that need doing:

1. identify what’s there and what we can get rid of
  2. cleaning
  3. making cushion covers / finishing off ones that are already there.
  4. agreeing design for side table and/or shelves to replace the wobbly metal ones.
  5. start making table and/or shelves
  6. find a home for the buzz wire game (the snug…?)
  7. put stuff to get rid of in first 6 week bin
  8. replace brush strips on front doors
  9. other ideas?
3 Likes

I’ll help out. Planning on working on a project morning till early pm so will be around and am free.

1 Like

The shelving will need to go when the member kiosk gets fitted at the end of the book shelf.

Brilliant, thank you!

1 Like

Ok cool we’ll try to start clearing the metal shelves as well. I’m not sure we need new shelves at all really apart from whatever the kiosk is going to sit on. But we can have a think when we’re there.

1 Like

Heads-up, a visitor from NYC might be showing up that afternoon to have a nose around and get his “makerspace passport” stamped. (I think we have a stamp somewhere?). His name is Vincent Lai; please make him feel welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Suggestion, put stuff in the 3 bin system where possible and not the tip, someone may be looking for some of it or at least be able to use it! I will see if I can make it down af all to help as well- thanks for taking the lead on this!

2 Likes

Ah yes I saw that on Facebook, will do!

I can’t be there this Friday, but am keen for this to happen. Can also think about how the screen etc. Interacts with this plan.

1 Like

No worries. I’m around and glad to help out

1 Like

The projection screen? Would moving it a few feet towards the main table improve it? That would be simple enough to implement.

BTW the screen weight went missing?

I meant the TV, but also the hifi, the box it sits on etc.

1 Like

The dream team hard at work earlier today.

4 Likes

THANK YOU!!

(yes, dear discourse engine, it is a complete sentence)

1 Like

The rug has gone to rug heaven.

Thank you so much to @Damian and @techfolderkites for making what could have been a completely overwhelming task into a fun and very satisfying afternoon.

I have taken the red sofa cover home to wash and we borrowed a bit of black fabric from the sewing area to cover the sofa in the meantime, hope that’s ok.

All the stuff that needs rehoming is piled up next to the door or next to the brown sofa. I’ll start another thread about that. It’s a long way from clean but it’s a lot better than it was.

4 Likes

Also Vincent stopped by, we stamped his passports and made him coffee so he was happy.

3 Likes

Also we did numbers 2 and 8 from the list above but didn’t even start the others so if anyone wants to tackle one of the other jobs that would be brilliant.

1 Like

Also the good news is we found no clear evidence of mice activity anywhere. I think the mice that have been spotted must have just been visitors rather than residents.

1 Like

That pretty much reflects what they’ve been doing in my house thus far this year, popping in to look for a bite to eat, then leaving, I suspect this will change when the weather turns for the worst and they need to stay in to keep warm.

FYI - The stereo is now re-homed to the 3d printer station. See:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/stereo-reassemble/7752/13

I also re-homed the computer keyboards and other misc wires to appropriate places with like items in the snug. There are now very few items that are left to deal with in the pile by the couch. yay!

1 Like