SMD Oven update

Hi Guys,

Back from HK and I have received and updated the SMD Oven ready for use. (I also have the solder dispenser too!) will bring them in on Thursday.

When you get these ovens, they have a few major issues that need addressing (also why they are cheap).

  1. Earth tag is sometimes loose or missing - checked and tightened
  2. The insulation is held down with masking tape that gives off a horrible smell and scorches - I removed and replaced all the tape (including the hidden strip) with aviation quality gold Kapton tape
  3. The original Chinese software is unusable - I’ve flashed the controller with the Swedish Unified Engineering version which works really well.
  4. The temperature stability is poor - i’ve added the cold junction sensor to the PCB and checked the oven with a thermocouple and its now well within tolerance

I will make some signs but this equipment really can bite so an induction will be needed before people are able to use it.

Courty

Nice work!

Also needs an RA, but this would go hand in hand with induction.

agreed - do you have the template for the RA or do I just follow the online versions ?

Courty

Spotted in the SLMS :slight_smile:

Indeed… we are SMD’d up already!

Not quite 100% in service yet, couple of square peg/round hole problems with the air supply and solder dispenser where we have mismatched fittings. Will bring the required parts in on Thursday and commission the units if anyone fancies a play?

This equipment does really need an induction as it can bite but it will be a fairly short practical session.

Courty

I think Frank from the Raspberry Jam group has some SMD soldering that needs doing.

I can do next Thursday if you are around - have board and bits.