SMD Oven - Pledge or buy

One of those subjects that comes up regularly in SLMS electronics is that of a reflow oven for surface mount devices. Recently it reappeared again.
The last discussion revolved around one of Chinese T962 series machines. These ovens have a few issues out of the box but can be easily fixed and upgraded to make it a useful bit of kit.
I would also recommend a solder paste dispenser pump, they make the setup of the boards really easy and are almost as fast as setting up a stencil especially for one or two offs.

For the basic T962a oven we’re looking at ~£160 (better models like the T962c go up to £350)
The dispenser pump (pictured below) is ~£60

Question:- would members be interested in a pledge to purchase an oven and possibly a pump ?

@peter_hellyer, @naxxfish, @electronoob, @emuboy, @joeatkin2

Courty

I’d chuck a few quid at that.

But with our current cash surplus, should the Makerspace be investing in this?

Sounds good to me , IR reflow machine are always useful , if we can manage to cut stencils with the laser cutter that could lead (pun) to an easy way to populate PCBs

I’m happy to put some money on it

I’d put some notes towards that (as me)

Sounds like a good pledge candidate. Happy to chuck something in. What’s the difference between the a and c models? Is it worth going for the better model?

The basic oven plus pump totals £220 methinks.
I suggest we bump @directors for 50% and meet the other 1/2 by pledge.
I pledge £20.

1 Like

Syringe it is then :smiley:

Pledge £20

1 Like

Pledge £15

1 Like

Pledge for £15

1 Like

Looking good guys. I’m exploring options for funding this as I think it will be very useful and I’m not sure we’re quite there on the pledges.

I’ll put a few £ in too - anyone else willing to add to the pot?

Courty

1 Like

I can afford a tenner this month.

And if the @directors approve a 50% contribution we’re nearly there!

2 Likes

Directors have approved to pay 50%.

I will pay whatever remains as a pledge.

1 Like

Marvelous! By my reckoning the cookie hath crumbled thus:

@dsikar £20
@frasco £20
@naxxfish £15
@emuboy £15
@RichM £10
@peter_hellyer £30

@directors £110

Grand total £220

All good?

3 Likes

Excellent! I’ll supply the upgrades for the oven including the space grade Kapton tape, hardware/firmware upgrades and some solder paste for the dispenser.(the dispenser needs compressed air from the wood shop too, normally via an 8mm tube)

I’ll also run a short induction once it’s all ready to go too.

Courty

5 Likes

Just wanted to say I think this method of group buying stuff for the space is a really positive one!

4 Likes

OK, so now what’s the mechanism for paying pledges?

@tomnewsom shall provideth the details of bank!

(psst, someone probably needs to foot the bill of actually ordering the thing)

1 Like

PM incoming!

The woodshop just upgraded to a bigger compressor - you might be able to use the old one depending on what happened to it. @woodtechs?