Should we get a spot welder?

+1

Just having a quick google and the proposed one looks a bit lite. If we want to embrace this as a tool, would it not be better to look at the ones around the £200 which look a bit beefier ?

I’m +1 on not allowing unsupervised welding of any Li based batteries… potential for large scale cockup is huge with Li

Anyone want to propose a model that would suit general purpose lite spot welding?

For heavy stuff, I believe you can get an attachment for the standard welder to convert it…

Courty

Hi there, I also have a small amount of spotwelding I need to do in the coming weeks. Obviously we won’t have one in the Space by then, does anyone know where I can go in London to use one or pay someone to do a small amount for me? Thank you!

I have a battery spot welder available for use.

We can make a normal spot welder by rewinding/rewiring a microwave magnetron.

I have a magnetron and microwaves are just lying around the streets or available very cheaply.

Just a gentle note that magnetrons and the transformers in microwave ovens can kill very easily when outside the oven: very high voltage coming off the tansformer (maybe 2800 volts), microwaves that can cook you and possibly dangerous oxides inside the magnetron

Best not to mess around unless you really know what you’re doing

2 Likes

Robert : “I have a battery spot welder available for use.”
(If it’s ok to use…) it’s not urgent, just let me know if/how I can use it for an hour or so in the coming weeks if possible. If not someone mentioned trying a local car garage/fixing place what are they called haha.
Have a good day,
Elizabeth

Anytime just PM me to arrange