Sheet Metal Lamp - looking for advice/tips :)

Hey All, I’m looking to build a basic sheet metal lamp from 1.5mm sheet aluminium. Each half of the lamp has an identical flat pattern (see image below).

My first question is, what would be your thoughts on marking + cutting out these patterns in an efficient and clean manner?

I’d thought about laser cutting a ply marking jig to trace around, and then using a coping saw. Would I be able to keep the sheet aluminium flat enough not to bend, whilst cutting?

Then comes the bending…each half has two bends, for which I am planning to make a basic sheet metal bending device in the woodshop, upon completing the induction (see below). Does this seem like a good approach top bending and getting a clean bend?

I’ve bought some stock lighting components, which I will secure to the bent sheet metal frame with 3d printed parts (which I can do on my ender 3 at home). I will also 3d print brackets, which I’ll nut and bolt in place (see image below).

The lampshade will be fabric affixed via a rail.

Also, does anyone know a good place to get sheet aluminium from in a small quantity, probably only a meter or so…

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay! It’s cool to see folks working in areas we don’t see a lot of activity in the makerspace! Are you using Fusion 360 sheet metal tools to get those nice radii?

Your bending jig plan looks good to me but I would definitely recommend doing some test bends to get a good feel for spring back and the radius you can hit with your chosen material thickness.

Cutting is going to be a challenge without a fiber laser or other fun industrial process :slight_smile: I think you’ve identified the best tool for getting those interior square corners. With the exterior cuts, guillotine and a corner rounder would be ideal but, again, you’ll have to make due. A nibbler would be a bit faster but would struggle to get crisp lines imho.

The best answer I have for you is on the marking/layout front :slight_smile: @Federico and I built a sharpie adapter for the big cnc. It’s a really nice way to get designs onto flat materials. Any of the @CNCtechs should be able to help you out if they can spare 15min.

Fortunately there are some good responses to getting materials in the other thread, I’ll link here for the record: Where to get Metal from?

I’d love to see progress pics as you come along!

2 Likes

Hey Kyle, was awesome chatting yesterday, thanks so much for the introduction to Archie, I’m sure we’ll be able to put the cnc to good use marking out the box plots!

the CAD was Solidworks sheet metal, I imagine the functionality is similar to fusion, you sketch your flat pattern, exactly how you would mark it out, then perform a series of bends along specified bend lines. It’s nice to be also able to specify the bend allowance!

I’ve made some card prototypes and i’ve actually been teaching myself how to sew the last few sessions, which I’ll also need to make the lamp project! I’ll be starting with the aluminium shortly!

I’m looking forward to seeing it come together!