Sheet material (wood) storage area in snug?

During @DAC17 and his team’s fine clearout of the left part of the snug in week 1 of snugageddon last month, they created a temporary wood storage area for people to retrieve their materials from:

They did not intend it to provide permanent storage for sheet materials, in fact they constructed it not to last, deliberately (see a previous thread on this). Most of the material there has remained unclaimed incidentally.

However, when I discussed the issue with @DAC17 earlier this week, he conceded that as a storage area for sheet material, it works quite well. It could easily be improved for that function, by removing the large steel cabinet on the wall to create more space for example, and possibly expanding the area. At least we now have the opportunity for such a facility now the snug is much clearer.

The issue of storage and possible sharing of large wood sheets came up on Discourse yesterday (see thread “Anyone have or know where I can buy birch plywood offcut?”), and there seems some support for storage of larger sheets that could be shared or bought by members for projects. I don’t intend to make that case here, but to ask the question: should the “temporary” sheet material storage area be reinforced, probably rebuilt and expanded, at least until Phase III demands snug space for other projects?

If so, I am willing to contribute to the labour of construction. What does the membership think about the idea generally?

1 Like

I personally think we should stick to the current policy where people request permission to store things but actually reinforce that this request needs to be done in advanced and approved rather than just posting after the thing has been out there.

My question pertains not to the question of storage policy, but where a sheet goes if storage permission is obtained.

So to simplify then you are saying people who want to store sheet materials would be required to use this storage only.

Sounds good.

We should probably base this decision on a space audit / questionnaire, but I think we could use the space until then anyway.

It would stop people leaving sheet material in less suitable places, like leaning up against walls and behind doors.

No. Again, I’m not trying to suggest policy.

Good point. That stack in messy next to entry door to wood shop is getting perilous.

It would be interesting to see how popular it is. At the moment you’re encouraged to get sheets cut down as speedily as possible – and we’d still encourage efficiency for storage – we had some horrors with storage before the snug was cleared.

Is the difference here that we designate a specific amount of space just for sheets? Rather than first come first served? Or that they’re stored longer term? Which makes its seem maybe like the lasershop?

I suppose that is what it amounts to. The left end of the snug would be in a similar (but improved) configuration to now, built specifically for sheet material storage in a way that is more accessible, safer and contained.

Realistically, storage in the snug has not recently been “first come first served”, it’s been “all come, take your chances, stuff it in there somewhere”

“encouraged to get sheets cut down as speedily as possible” (sorry, don’t know how to do internal quotes) - this is an issue, because cutting down a large sheet requires the presence and participation of a @woodtechs - only they are currently authorised to use the table saw, quite rightly. They are always commendably willing to help, but sometimes members’ visits don’t coincide with theirs.

The concept of longer term storage for pre-bought sheets of ply (for example) was raised on Discourse yesterday. I think it’s a pretty good idea, but ONLY if we designate storage for it - so that buyers can find the material they need. This, however, is a different (but related) question.

1 Like

Who gives permission exactly? Never quite understood the process fully. I’ve generally whacked my name on my project, found somewhere safe and out of the way and then put a ‘request’ on discourse. Often wondered why it was a ‘request’ as opposed to a ‘notification’.

I’ve got a bit of MDF in the snug at the moment with a request on discourse that I’m going to have to extend until next week. Following this particular project I’d like to follow the rules properly so as to not put noses out of joint. Can you explain how it ‘should’ be working please? Cheers.

Edit: I’ve previously seen this in the Rules section, but again, it’s vague as to who decides whether you can or can’t store items…

‘To store projects/items you must get permission first by starting a new topic in #admin:storage-requests
[1]: /c/discussion/storage‘

1 Like

We’ll, so far we usually allow permission, occasionally asking for gear to be moved…

We’ll revamp this as the snug is now clear enough to have a dedicated project areas again – at least in the short term.

1 Like

Returning to the question you asked.

Yes! I think this would be a great use of the space while phase 3 is finalised.

I’m happy to give you a hand.

1 Like