Sharpening tuition

I already did it, thanks.
I booked two benches from 6.30 until 10 using the open evening booking already in place.

1 Like

Thanks for arranging this useful session…
Wednesdays are quite difficult for me, but I hope there might other opportunities to attend if there is interest.

I recently bought the Veritas ‘de luxe’ honing guide kit, and have some other sharpening kit too, but am still rather feeling my way with the whole process (lots of theory acquired, but little practice or empirical knowledge!).

Where do I sign up for this one for next week ?
I met you outside today.
Best wishes,
Chris

1 Like

I’ve had a mare! Work dragged on past 8 and then I completely forgot I was meant to be at the makerspace. Really sorry to have messed you around! @Giles I can still send a fiver your way of you want as my mess up has left you out of pocket. Perhaps drop me a DM.

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the sharpening induction/workshop tonight, it is not that difficult as a concept as you say but takes time and should be done correctly, I totally agree :slight_smile:

I think you should keep running these as I agree it is important to have a standard that we expect if members are to sharpen the tools and the more the better but also to get it right so that we don’t ruin the work you’ve already done with your own time and effort.

If buying a grinding wheel so that we can hollow grind the primary bevel on tools that have been allowed to become out of shape then good idea. I realise we don’t want everyone just ‘going for it’ without some training but if you could suggest a suitable grinder for the space then I think a pledge drive would gather plenty of support.

Have a think about it and post your ideas and we can take it from there?

Thanks, Steve

Thank you for organizing this @Giles It was really good.
It was fun and informative, now all we need to do is practice :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Giles for a really informative sharpening lesson. I learnt a lot and am looking forward to putting my new skill to some use.

Peter.

Excellent

That’s good.
I have finished your chisels. They are both very sharp. One of them still requires a little flattening, I did the majority. I will put them where we agreed.
I did notice the steel is very soft. Sharpen frequently.

1 Like

OK great.

No need to worry.
I am doing another one next week if you are interested. I think I will open another thread as this is getting a bit confusing.

I am opening another thread as this is quite confusing. I have four takers.
Just reply in the latest thread.
It’s called second sharpening session.

Hi,
I have four people interested in sharpening for next week. I am opening a new thread as this is confusing me. It’s called second sharpening session.
Please reply in new thread and discuss dates which are convenient.
I am free anytime.

Here is the link to the Second Sharpening Tuition organised by Giles. Thanks for doing this!

1 Like

Great.
I should probably learn how to do that.

2 Likes

Let me know if you are interested in next Wednesday at 7 for sharpening.
Thanks

If you are still interested in sharpening next week Wednesday at seven let me know.

Yes, absolutely,
Are you a man to also ask about router training?
Best Chris

I did do a couple of router inductions but I think someone else does it now.
You could ask Joe.

I am the last one to do on but it was a while ago. we are struggling to keep up with the basic inductions at the moment so don’t know when the next one will be.

All I can suggest is make sure you are on the list
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/woodshop-handheld-router-induction-waiting-list/21286