Shaker boxes

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4987399e0>

I finished up another set of boxes, I have a pair, which is typically something I like to do. Making pairs is telling, for obvious reasons. You can see the pine inserts and the latest addition, with olive ash, tops and bottoms. The olive ash has a grey cast and I experimented with dyes and liming wax but, I spent CASH and I still wasn’t happy with the colour. I did get a lovely limed finish on two of my experimental pieces of wood. So, after all that effort I went with the natural colour. If you think about it, we colour wood, all colours including grey, so why did I feel I should hide the lovely reclaimed olive ash drawer bottoms? Grey is just a colour like any other colour, the wood is I imagine going to get beautiful with age. I think it’s been a successful project and I have all the necessary equipment to make more boxes. I am also interested in trying some different shapes and sides with a single finger for the nails. The shakers actually did a single finger box. It’s the same size as the large box in my photos. I used three coats of oil and wax for the finish on the latest ash and cherry boxes. I used shellac for the boxes with pine inserts, I don’t have a favourite, they are each different, so not technically a pair. I am not complaining, I achieved plenty…

14 Likes

They look amazing!

What is the thickness of the wood your using there?

It’s supposed to be 1.5 mm, this particular piece of veneer was actually 1.4.

1 Like

They look great! Do you pics of the making in progress. Would love to learn how to make them.

2 Likes

I don’t really have pictures of the process, it’s not particularly photogenic.
I would have to show you.

Ah, I see, you could show us but then you’d have to kill us, eh? :wink:

1 Like