Screenprinting

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496dab6e0>

Not so florescent then, eh?

Well - UV Tube format… What is in that big table then with the removable top?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-recommended-UV-light-for-screen-printing

Got it

4 Likes

Nice!!!

1 Like

Emulsion cleaner is on its way… time to make new screens!

2 Likes

Would love to learn! Is there any sort of induction?

Nope- we are kinda figuring it out as we go!

No one has printed anything in quite a while (years) so that knowledge appears to have dissipated. Will keep you posted on activities in the area in case you want to join…

1 Like

Happy to support in anything needed!

1 Like

I used to do lots of screen printing at university, I don’t mind coming to try and help work something out.

1 Like

Does it need some flat surface now? I can find a glass if doesn’t matter what type in A2 and cut it to size if that’d be okay. Would make sure it’s not the UV blocking one!

I dunno, that whole big table is glass, I think you can just use that?

Didn’t know you can attach it to the big glass!

Attach may be a stretch! But we can certainly pile up junk until it sits just below! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Been updating the tool page as well, theres a 15 minute video that gives a good summary of the process…

3 Likes

That would be great! I will tag you in a Space Booking next time I am down for this…

Count me in too please

1 Like

Will do!

1 Like

Any glass will attenuate a load of uv, if you can avoid it it’ll lower exposure times: however then the problem is keeping things flat…

I started making a uv exposure meter for things like this, maybe this is an excuse to finish it?

2 Likes

Right, I have a bit of a wind behind me to need to use the screen printing area so I figure now is as good a time as ever to try and get things running again, though I don’t want to unilaterally jump on it without asking everyone else.

I see from the thread we have screen cleaner, I assume we also have some (still good) emulsion and a screen coater as well as inks?

I’ve seen the pile of screens in the corner, presumably they’re the spaces and not claimed by any individual members?

As I see it currently one of the bigger problems with getting screen printing up and going is just space. Having done it quite a lot, though admittedly a while ago now, printing tends to just absorb all flat space around it. Perhaps with the new arch etc. we could think about some sort of print drying storage and somewhere to coat screens more easily?

The catch with screens is that they really should dry in the dark, or at least away from UV. Not sure how the best way to do this is currently, a drawer isn’t bad but needs some airflow somehow. When I did it at university there was a gigantic mercury discharge lamp that baked screens when exposing but I really don’t suggest we try anything like that, I’m sure you can manage with the right wavelength of UV leds now. Perhaps this is also something we could make a drawer for to save everyone’s eyes?

Ideally I’d like to try and iron things out and then do some workshops later in the summer, should anyone be interested…

1 Like

Hi Gilbert, it’s great to have some excitement in this area!

When a few of us were trying out the t shirt carousel, we took a look at the supplies. We found only one tub of emulsion and it was long expired. There’s some aluminum extrusion that might assist in coating the screens but having different sizes might improve the experience. Lots of Plastisol inks for textiles, I’m not sure on the print making side.

There’s a drying box underneath the table and couple UV exposure options.

Some other folks that might have an interest in lending their expertise: @JackL @Jennifer_Moore @lewisss (on behalf of his partner)