Screen Printing Updates

Great, thank you so much for continuing to work on it! Really appreciate both of your efforts :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Quick update, we finished the first 1kg emulsion and are trying a similar but slightly different type sourced from Print Club in Dalston - thanks @karin for kindly picking this up!

I’m heading in to coat a couple of screens today and will check the appropriate base exposure time, after this I’ll schedule another induction session booked for an evening time.

Apologies it’s been quite overdue, will be moving forwards with more sessions shortly!

6 Likes

Separately, I’m currently writing some guides for the equipment now we have a new vacuum pump to enjoy - thanks to the hard work of @danielbenton. Sorry in particular to @beccaartist for the slow progress, I haven’t forgotten about this!

I’d also love to get some video guides prepared so wondered if at some point in the next few weeks we could perhaps arrange something with one of @video for this?

Let me know, cheers!
Pete

2 Likes

I’ll have some free time next month is you want to scheme re:Video as i produced the laser’s induction video

2 Likes

Amazing, that’d be great Martyn cheers!

I was in this afternoon to burn a 55T mesh screen with the Makerspace illustration. It looks far better now the vacuum is working, thanks for your help today @joeatkin2 and @danielbenton for getting the pump up and running.

Hoping to be in tomorrow to get try again with the t-shirt printing if everything plays ball we should have some ready for purchase soon!

4 Likes

Holy suction!

Nice work @danielbenton!!

1 Like

We have success!

Using the looser weave screen - 55T instead of 77T - helped some more ink pass through and we have lovely sharp details still.

I’ve printed all the t-shirts I currently have, they’re waiting to be heat set when I’m in next.

I’m waiting on a wider scoop coating trough to be delivered so I can use our larger screens to print the tea towels, but after adding a small makers mark to the t-shirts, they’ll be ready to buy.

Exciting times guys :tada:

10 Likes

Awesome work! Looks amazing!!

1 Like

Any change to the coating exposure times? Going to try and come and actually be useful as a tech next week…

1 Like

I ran a test screen through and think the emulsion is exactly the same! It’s the same colour, exposes in the same time - 1 minute 40.

@danielbenton has installed an interlock on the exposure unit so that’s as foolproof as it can get - thanks again for your time with this.

I’ve not got around to cleaning the two test screens I used yet. First port of call when I finalise some of the sales is getting more textile and acrylic emulsion, some more inks, and finally more screens! That and re-meshing some of the screens we have already.

@directors regarding print sales, the t-shirts ran me about £5 each so was wanting to check after sales are made, what would be the best way for me to recoup this in terms of ease for you?

2 Likes

Ideally send a receipt in to us via this process:

Perfect, forgot about that - cheers!

1 Like

Fantastic ! Well done !

In cahoots with someone over in Greenwich/Lewisham about picking up some used screens, looking to collect next week so will get back when I have more info!

2 Likes

I picked up 10 screen print frames from Prangsta Costumiers in New Cross today, they need a bloody good clean and some of them will need re-meshing but given second hand screens with sturdy aluminium frames can go for £60+ each at this size, I scored them for a tenner a piece.

I’ve also been in to iron the tea towels ahead of printing, and to heat set the t-shirts. I’ve attached some photos below because I’m very proud of the detail that has transferred!

9 Likes

Looks super nice! Great work @petermakesprints!

2 Likes

7 Likes