Screen printing arch 1

This one IS actually unsafe as it doesn’t have a top to close at all! We need to dispose of it!

In the meantime, I have emailed the manufacturer to find out if there are additional safety features that newer units have. As Gilbert says, please put a DO NOT USE sign on it until we find out more and complete the RA…

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks Dan!

1 Like

As the risk assessment seems to be a hold up for this unit getting into action, I’ve knocked one together based on my observations in the image, and past experience with similar units for screen printing.

The key issues here would be:

1. Installing an electrical interlock and having an electrical inspect the internal wiring for signs of wear, UV deterioration etc…
  2. Checking what type of bulb it runs off, and if appropriate, removing and replacing what is possibly a mercury vapour bulb with something a bit safer to service.
  3. Giving it a bit clean.
  4. Checking for any light leaks using visible light if possible.
  5. Giving it a burn-in test under constant supervision.
  6. Trying to check for any information about the vacuum motor of the whole unit to see if there is a duty cycle limit on the motor.

I hope this helps, I couldn’t work out how the RAs were done for SLMS so I just de-branded my work template to get it started.

UV Exposure Unit.docx (149.5 KB)

It should be out of use until screen printing gets going, myanmarc had a look at it when it arrived and gave it a basic electrical safety test it’s all seems ok except for a little bit of primary installation showing at the back a fairly quick fix, lack of an interlock possibly might be a problem but adding one is fairly simple and I have a suitable one in stock, but it’s down to the screen printing text to choose their control

Thanks Tom!

I have added you to the RA category, if you can put it in this template that would be awesome then we can review:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/risk-assesment-template/19504

Take a look at some others (that also use the same template) for examples - the scores are multiplied. ie. severity x probability - after the controls the severity doesn’t change but the the goal is the probability goes down…

Thanks!!

On the point of temporarily restricting use for stuff like this… as someone with experience as a tech in the space could I suggest we get a couple of these lockouts? Everyone seems to agree that it’s safe if used correctly with an induction, but that’s not yet the case. This would let the techs for the area lock out the unit but still work on it as necessary.

1 Like

Thats a good idea, better solution then cutting off plugs!!

I’ve drafted it here:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/uv-exposure-unit-risk-assessment-draft/30671

My actions would be:

1. Full electrical inspection and PAT testing.
  2. Installation of interlocks on all all panels.
  3. Check the bulb type and update risk assessment if it could be dangerous to handle and/or contain mercury.
  4. Add to periodic inspection for the technical area.
1 Like

It’s pretty safe to use once you know how. It’s very simple to operate.

I’ll get a guide made up. I’ve got a week off at the end of the month so can get the guide printed and put with the machine.

I also noticed that the vacuum is lacking. There may be an issue with the seal. I’ll check that out as well.

I agree. This type of machine is safe to use without an induction.

The wider area probably does need an induction as there are chemicals in use for screen printing which would need control measures.

I believe the machine is out of service right now because it has no safety interlocks and the electrical wiring hasn’t been inspected yet. That might be wrong or have changed, it’s just what I understood from the conversation.

@silkscreentechs can you review the RA?

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/uv-exposure-unit-risk-assessment-draft/30671

Thanks!!

I’ll get operating instructions done for the machine week commencing 27th. I’ll also check the seals this week as well. Any news on when screen printing will have the space sorted?

1 Like

Still waiting on metal to move… @joeatkin2 how close are we?

Kippax Operating instructions.pdf (924.6 KB)

Please find the operating instructions here. The unit is super easy to use and very safe. It already has a built in safety feature where the lamp is hidden behind barn doors until timer switch is switched on. So as long as the lid is closed when you switch timer on you have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Still need to put an interlock on so if the lid is opened with the timer on, the light goes off, this is Makerspace Someone willl do it !!

I’m not sure this is necessary. I’ve used various exposure units in screen printing studios and they’re the same set up as this one? For example the one I was using at Camberwell College of the Arts doesn’t have this added interlock feature. They must have similar H&S regs to the maker space.

In my view a simple sign on the machine saying something along the lines of “Don’t open lid unless switched off” would work.

@directors need to decide this.
A sign saying “don’t do this” is not as effective as making it impossible to do.

Plus fitting an interlock
Is fairly simple, and it cannot be used yet anyway until the metalwork is moved out.

Hi all,

I agree with both - it can be used safely with some basic knowledge, but making it failsafe is probably worth it just to be on the safe side… @joeatkin2 can you put any parts you have for it in a box next to it or something so we can work on it?

Oh, and thanks @ZacPatsalides for the instruction guide! I have added it to the exposure unit tool page

Thanks!
Andy

I have the parts, me or mark will put them on before it comes into service