Scrap Mild Steel

Hey @metaltechs,

I’d like to practise some MIG welding as I’ve had my induction now and wondered if there is any mild steel at the workshop which is unclaimed/free to tinker with?

Cheers!
Pete

In the welding bay you’ll find all the left overs from previous inductions (on the weekend lots of it had been spot welded into a …sculpture) you can cut that up and use it to practice :slight_smile: Just make sure its leftovers (already got welds all over, joined to other bits, etc) rather than fresh stocks as the Techs need that for inductions.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks!

Just saw this on Gumtree if you want rod stock

Please view this ad:

a 3m long steel bar roughly 1 inch diameter. Free to whoever wants to pick it up.

https://www.gumtree.io/p/for-sale/a-3m-long-steel-bar-roughly-1-inch-diameter-free-to-whoever-wants-to-pick-it-up/1476373794

1 Like

@danielbenton @scythian Useful?

Link doesn’t work for me, is it close?
Is it rebar or round stock? It is not necessarily machinable, but can be used for making something sturdy, so if within reach grab it now, think later. Should be roughly 12kg if solid, less if a pipe
@kyle

Weird. Link works when I WhatsApp it to someone. Maybe only on mobile if you have the app?

Found the listing in clapham. https://www.gumtree.com/p/freebies/a-3m-long-steel-bar-roughly-1-inch-diameter.-free-to-whoever-wants-to-pick-it-up.-/1476373794

Looks like round stock, I sent the seller (?) a message, I can pick it up. At three metres long I’ll have to cut it down on location for transport, and storage at the space.

I spent Thursday afternoon making a box from some of the used welding practise squares and am now feeling much more confident using the angle grinders. I enjoyed the range of textures the different discs imparted onto the steel, so ended up using the grinders much more than the welder itself. It does look as though it was made while blindfolded, but you’ve got to start somewhere right!

4 Likes

Very cool! Nice way to practice and still have something at the end!

1 Like