Risk Assessment Template/Example

I’ve created an example/template design for the Risk Assessment, to get constructive feedback on:

1. Content
    What is included or missing
  2. The layout/design/readability
    Is it clear enough
  3. Matrix
    Does the matrix have the right levels of severity in the right places?
  4. Other constructive feedback
    What else are you thinking?

The idea is to incorporate risk assessment with a safe system of work, to make a readable, and approachable document that fulfils our obligations, but also signposts PPE and has a reminder of the process to using the machine.

I’ve used an example of a Combi Drill from my work RA, but reassessing against the new proposed matrix considering how our members use tools.

Makerspace Risk Assessment.pdf (669.2 KB)

Matrix

Although Risk Assessment (RA) matrices are not required for RA, they are a useful tool for RAs, as such I’ve been reading around and tried to create one for Makerspace that is simple, and would appreciate feedback.

1 Like

Good work Tommel.

I find matrices are an invaluable tool in thinking through the risks.

When we do these with the volunteering groups everything is about mitigating the risk down to ‘low’, or tools can’t be used. I’d be interested to hear if it’s done differently, and this works.

It’s generally a combination of: an inspection of tool, an nduction, (occasionally close supervision), obligatory PPE, demonstrated safe practice, clear instruction.

I shared this with my work H&S advisor who has worked in a lot of different environments, mostly corporate but also now an design school.

The main thoughts from here were:

1. It needs a description of the activity / task / process that is being assessed.
  2. Who may be harmed.
  3. What actions need to be taken and who is responsible for doing these.

Makerspace Risk Assessment v2.pdf (675.5 KB)

Updated to include her feedback, the 3rd point is tricky.

Looking good. What’s it made in btw?

Pages at the moment.

A good checklist to think about, Thanks to University of Durham
https://community.dur.ac.uk/a.j.bent/forms/hazard_list.pdf
Jonathan.